Knitted lace bookmarks

This was a fun and quick knit with a pattern repeat that was easy to remember. The tricky part was not losing track of the number of repeats and knitting a necktie instead :joy:

I blocked by washing the bookmark with a tiny bit of wool wash and then letting it dry pinned out. I have a puzzle play mat for all my blocking needs. They absolutely need blocking in some shape or form since they want to curl up otherwise.

See: didn’t keep track of my repeats so this one is a smidge longer. Still reasonable bookmark length.

This is the pattern I used:

There is a link via the wayback machine that had a sort of usable pattern. I didn’t get how the fringe was supposed to work so I just weaved in the ends and shaped the bookmarks by blocking them. I decided against starching them since the cotton held its shape reasonably well.

Yarn: It’s either Scheepjes Catona or Schachenmayr Catania. It’s a mercerised cotton yarn and makes for a sturdy bookmark with good stitch definition.

Needles: 2,75 mm

My prototype was made with a mystery (wool?) yarn that kept breaking… I could see that the pattern was good but I didn’t feel like fastening that many ends so I switched to the cotton yarn.

Just to illustrate why lace needs to be blocked:

It all looks like boiled cabbage until you block it. The blue mess with all the ends hanging off it is the prototype.

14 Likes

How pretty! Very lovely :orange_heart:

1 Like

Beautiful and delicate!

1 Like

These are such pretty bookmarks!

1 Like

Very pretty!
I’ve crocheted bookmarks but never knitted one. These look lovely (once blocked🤣)!

1 Like

Great job, and fantastic illustration of the magic of blocking :blush:

2 Likes

It does seem like magic for lace especially. I mean it doesn’t need to be pinned out, but a wash and shaping before it dries is essential,

Blocking really is magic! Wow, what a difference!

I was the lucky recipient of one of these beauties! Thank you!

1 Like

So pretty!