Knitted stockinette snakes

While looking for inspiration for a swap, I came across this neat snake scarf pattern: https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2012/08/16/lauras-loop-striped-stockinette-snake/
Since the person I was swapping with lives in a much warmer climate, I thought I could make a few smaller ones, and in much more vivid colors. I think I’ve made 6 so far, in various colors and sizes, some with pipe cleaners to be posable. They are interesting to knit up because you switch from an icord tail to knitting back and forth, then the stripes are knitted flat but on dpns, so K with color A, slide yarn back, K with color B, Purl with A, slide yarn back, Purl with B. It’s fun but did take a minute to figure out, all while making increases every few stripes. (I became much more familiar with M1L & M1R)

I used a mix of yarns for each snake, sometimes holding a solid yarn together with a variegated yarn for one stripe, and switching to a solid worsted yarn for the other. The eyes are from amazon, but I noticed that they don’t really stick to hot glue, so I ventured into the wide world of quick drying glues and found Alenes (thanks @Magpie!)

9 Likes

That hoop is beautiful!

1 Like

I know what I am making my hubby for his birthday! He loves snakes and misses his real snakes in the garden in our last house.

Thanks for the link…your guys look great and so much fun!

I like the MR1 and ML1 stitches…they are my favorite when making the thumb gusset in gloves…nice, nearly invisible increases with no holes!

1 Like

Those are so cute!

1 Like

These snakes are darling!! Sooooo cute! And I love that you made some posable!

1 Like

Oooh, SQUEE! I love these, I love them So MUCH! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :heart: :orange_heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :heartpulse:

1 Like

These are awesome! The best kind of snakes! :laughing:

2 Likes

(St Patrick’s Day hair…):green_heart:

4 Likes

O my goodness @thanate, that’s an excellent hair do :green_heart::green_heart::snake:

1 Like

I wondered how you made these really cool little sneks! Mystery solved - and thank you for sharing your mods! Love them!

:heartbeat:

1 Like

I don’t knit so I have no idea but I do know that I like yours ever so much more. The big flat head on the original is not nearly as cute.

1 Like

Not fond of snakes but your knitted ones are fab!
And that snakes-in-the-garden hoop is spectacular!

1 Like