Kohakutou (or crystal candy or sea glass candy)

My kiddos and I made agar agar based candy this weekend to decorate cupcakes for my mom on Mother’s Day.

I followed a recipe for the gummy-like sweets but cut it in half since I didn’t need a ton (and I’m glad I did, because it was really delicious and way too easy to eat).

I bought my agar online but you can find it at health stores or Asian markets. It was my first time to use it, but I think I’m already a convert to it from gelatin. It sets harder (which I prefer), is vegan (I’m not, but sometimes I think the flavor of gelatin is off-putting), is totally clear when it sets, and can be boiled without messing up the gel.

We used this recipe, just halved. (I added a splash of orange extract and it was really good. I didn’t have any citric acid, so it was very sweet. Next time I’ll try adding it to see if I like the sweet/sour.) https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/kohakutou-crystal-gummy-candy/

You can leave it out for a few days to get its signature crunchy outside, but I can’t leave food sitting out on my counter without worrying about bugs or my cats. So, I put it in my dehydrator at the lowest heat setting possible overnight. It worked great! After it dries a bit it turns opaque and gets the lightest, kinda tender, sugary, crunchy coating with a very soft gummy center that’s snappy? I guess? It’s not rubbery but not like jello—I’m not sure how to describe it. It bites cleanly and doesn’t dissolve. It’s a nice texture! Aesthetically-I preferred the pieces that I tore to the ones I cut into crystal shapes. I really liked the ragged edges.

My boys and I added some edible gold paint to make it fancy and used it to top some cupcakes. Pretty! (Sorry for the bad lighting—they’re opaque but still very cool in tone.)

25 Likes

They look gorgeous!
I’ve always preferred agar over gelatin and I might have to try this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love this. They look amazing - thanks for all the tips. I love gummy stuff like this so I definitely want to try it.

1 Like

They are so beautiful!

1 Like

Gorgeous!

Agar is a great option for those who avoid beef products, but is also very nice without that consideration. I like to make coconut jelly and mold it in fun shapes. Agar stays firm at much higher temperatures than gelatin, so it’s great for parties. Brain mold, anyone?

1 Like

This is jus the coolest thing ever!

1 Like

Super fancy!

1 Like

These look great and sound really tasty! What a fun addition to the cupcakes!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Very pretty!

1 Like

Gorgeous! Those colors came out really beautifully, and I agree - agar is much nicer to work with than gelatin.

1 Like

Those cupcakes look so ethereal.

2 Likes

These are such a pretty and cool edible decoration!

1 Like

Wow! These are really stunning! Never in a million years would I have thought of this, so I’m sure glad that you did! (And that you shared!)

1 Like

Ooh, nice! I’ve had that recipe pinned for months after a friend sent us a couple “edible rocks” and my kid wanted to make more, but still haven’t gotten the agar yet… Yours came out very elegant!

2 Likes

These are soo cool! I can’t believe that they’re edible! The addition of the gold paint really makes them extra special.

1 Like

Beautiful! It’s hard to believe it’s edible!

2 Likes