Krollen - Dutch aniseed bread rolls

This recipe is not well-known, not even in the Netherlands, but in the area around my hometown, people eat krollen, aniseed flavoured bread rolls, in early December, around St. Nicholas Day (Dec 6). It’s not strongly associated with the holiday itself. “Krol” means “curl” in our dialect and the rolls are shaped a bit like a curl.

Krollen - makes 12
300 gr all purpose flour
200 gr wholewheat flour
2 teaspoons of ground aniseed
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
optional: 1 tablespoon of whole anise if you can find it
3 tablespoons of sugar
pinch of salt
1,5 tablespoon of dried yeast
50 gr melted, cooled butter or oil
1 egg
300 ml milk

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour, sugar, salt, spices).
Mix milk, egg, yeast and butter/oil together in a different bowl.
Put the dry ingredients on your work surface, make a little well in it, add the wet ingredients, knead into a dough. When done, put in a covered bowl and let rise at room temperature for about an hour or until it’s doubled in size.

After an hour, knock back the dough then divide in 12 portions.
To create the typical curls, roll each ball into a little sausage then shape into a curl. Alternatively, I’m sure they will taste perfectly fine as normal rolls. Put the little curls on a baking tray lined with parchment, cover and let rise again for about an hour.

Bake for 12 minutes at 210 degrees.

Traditionally, krollen are eaten with butter and speculaas cookies as a topping! I’ve never made my own speculaas but those are some of the most famous cookies coming from the Netherlands. Yes, we don’t just eat sprinkles on our sandwiches, we eat cookie sandwiches too. If you eat a cookie sandwich at work no one will laugh at you.

18 Likes

They sound delightful, I love anise!
and cookie sandwiches! Genius!

1 Like

These sound delicious! Either solo or sandwiched.

1 Like

I can almost smell the bread baking… Looks yummy!

1 Like

I learned to eat sprinkles on toast from my Dutch friend many years ago but she never taught me to eat a cookie sandwich.

1 Like

Us Aussies eat ‘fairy bread’, which is white bread with butter and sprinkles. But we don’t do cookie sandwiches! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for this recipe! I would never have thought of anise in bread! They look yummy!

1 Like

Cookies on rolls! Love it! The rolls themselves look delicious.

1 Like

I neeeed a cookie sandwich! Thanks for the recipe, looks delish

1 Like

These sound lovely!

1 Like

Thanks, I hope you will all try & enjoy them! They really are one of my favourite things to bake in winter, especially now I don’t live in my hometown anymore and can’t buy them locally. Speculaas cookies are spiced (tastes a bit like pumpkin spice) so they go really well with the spiced bread.