Laser cut dragon automaton

I’m hoping this is the right category. This drago is kind of a sculpture, I guess? Seemed like the closest fit.

Anyway, since we were talking about automata on another post, I thought I’d share this dragon. Most of the others I’ve made have been given away without photos (bad habit) but this guy hangs in my classroom so I can still get pictures! He’s a little wobbly because I leave him unglued for kids to take apart and see how he works, but otherwise he came out well.

The flat wood is laser cut, pinned with dowels, tissue paper for the wings, magnets to help him flap, and paper clip wires.

Here’s him flapping: https://youtu.be/ZmTbr_22CHA

31 Likes

This is way cool!

1 Like

This is really cool and I bet the kids love it.

1 Like

Way cool!

1 Like

Super cool!!

Soo…is there a way I can signup as a high school student again? I want to take your classes. :heart:

3 Likes

So cool! Thanks for the video; I love to see automata in motion!

2 Likes

Oh wow, that is so amazing! Love that kids can take it apart to understand he way it works!

Thanks for sharing!!

2 Likes

This is sppppectacular!! Do you have a laser cutter in class, too? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

That is so frickin’ cool!

1 Like

So cool, and it moves! While gluing it would mean it lasts longer I so understand that it’s fun to let kids explore

2 Likes

I love him. Seriously. Love. Him.

What do you use to laser cut the wood?

2 Likes

One of my classes has an assignment to make their own, so it’s important to have some demos around.

Yep. I teach engineering classes so 3d printers, vinyl cutters, laser cutters, CNC machines, soldering…
I’m very machine spoiled at work, which has led to me having to get them at home too.

My cutter at home is a 4th gen hobby laser from Full Spectrum that I found on craigslist and rehabbed. The one at school is a Full Spectrum p-series and is way awesomer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

This is SO AMAZING!

1 Like

Wowza…what a cool automaton!

2 Likes

Oh wow, that is such a neat project! and I love his little purple wings. Very cool! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When i was a kid, we would say “NEATO-KINO!”

and it completely applies today. This IS neato-kino! the wings! awww. thank you for sharing!

:metal:

2 Likes

Wow! This is great!

1 Like

Awesome to the max!

So cool!

It is SO great the kids can take this apart and reassemble to see how it works. That’s how I figure out a lot of things too. Very cool!

1 Like