Laser cut mini PC model

Yes, I’m a laser cutter addict. No, I’m not really sorry.

This mini PC model was born slightly out of necessity. I teach Computer Hardware (high school age) which is usually a very hands-on class. In COVID times that’s not possible, but I couldn’t let it be entirely virtual so I designed and cut these mini PC models for my students. Each kid gets one to use as an aid while they learn all the parts and will keep it at the end of class.

The pieces come apart and attach in a few places with velcro and the wires are simulated using plastic lanyard. (Aside: I’ve learned there’s a lot of way to refer to that stuff!)

Pictures!
Front side assembled view:

Overhead assembled view:

Parts:

It’s not perfect and it was really hard to stop adding stuff, but it was pretty fun and the kids are enjoying them!

27 Likes

Oh, I love the lanyard as wires! It looks so real, especially in the first photo.

2 Likes

I LOVE this so much! What a great idea! I love there’s still a spot for a VGA connector :joy:

3 Likes

So dang cool! I’m not sorry you’re addicted to laser cutting, either!

3 Likes

Very cool!

1 Like

Hooray for addictions!
great learning toy

1 Like

Hey…don’t make fun of the old stuff! lol

You sound like the guy from Geek Squad who asked why we didn’t just use the remote that came with our receiver when we hooked it up to our new TV…well, kiddo, there were no remotes for receivers when we first bought it in the late sixties…

Thank goodness for digital to analog converters that come with remotes…lol

How cool that kids are learning this so early and having fun as well…they are the ones helping the older folks…lol

3 Likes

Yeah, this definitely isn’t the top of the line gaming rig! :laughing:
Mostly, the VGA port is just so darn recognizable!

3 Likes

You are amazing! A great project and a teacher to be cherished.

1 Like

This is such a cool tactile teaching model for your students :slight_smile:

1 Like

This kit needs to be available in every school.

Very clear. Love it.

2 Likes

I love it! Such a great way to use for teaching. But also so neat on its own! Love the cables! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a fun and interactive little teaching tool.
It’s mind boggling to think of the sheer number of things that can be made using a laser cutter!

2 Likes

I love this!! What an awesome teacher you are!! :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

This is so cool. I love the fact that you are letting them keep it. I can see it on someone’s college dorm dresser years from now.

2 Likes

Every semester I have at least one kid ask if they’re going to get to build and keep their own computer. I always think you know this is a public school, right? :rofl:
But yeah, I’m hoping a few keep it and remember something they learned! I might have to keep making these post-COVID.

2 Likes

There’s a site where teachers create things for other teachers to purchase. Might be something to consider for offering up some of the amazing things you make, although it seems unlikely that it would be a huge moneymaker… still… an outlet for the addiction! :wink:

3 Likes

This is amazing. What a clever idea to get around the limitations of virtual classes!

1 Like

I’ve put some of the models up on some free sites, but hadn’t really considered teacherspayteachers. Nice idea. :wink:

1 Like

This is awesome!

1 Like