Last Dress

Close to 15 years ago, my mother bought me a sewing machine. I was inspired to sew! I received a gift card from the fabric store and promptly purchased the fabric and pattern to make this dress. Then I realized that it sounded overwhelming and it sat in my fabric dresser doing nothing. When I was looking for fabric to make some face masks, I found the fabric and thought I’d take a stab at it. I only had a coral colored zipper, but decided to try to make it work. If it didn’t work, I wasn’t out anything since the fabric had just been laying around for 15 years anyway. Despite the fact that it doesn’t look like the pattern photo (I omitted the collar and pockets because those seemed daunting) I think it works!

29 Likes

That looks fantastic! Great job on the pleats!

2 Likes

Wow! It looks pro and fits you beautifully! Good job, you. I am impressed with your daring. What’s next from the sewing room of @Kwality570?

2 Likes

Thanks! They were supposed to look more like gathers, but I’ve realized I’m lazy and don’t like sewing, so I just made big pleats. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think the pleats are way more fun than tiny little gathers anyway!

2 Likes

I was so happy to finally put the sewing machine away after I finished this and the masks that I made. Maybe I’ll find something to make in another 15 years. Until then, I’ll leave the sewing for gurus like you!

2 Likes

I love the simplicity of it…looks very versatile…casual but could go dressier!

You did a fine job…your choice to pick what you love to do is admirable…we should all live by this credo!

2 Likes

Cute! I like the style.

2 Likes

You’ve done a wonderful job making a very lovely fitting dress! And you may be the first person in a long time to leave OFF the pockets on a dress! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I like the clean lines of the dress, it looks comfy and professional all at once. I can’t believe this is a first attempt! Well done.

2 Likes

I might put them in. It just seemed confusing at the time. I just wanted to be done with sewing! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think your dress looks great!

2 Likes

It turned out so freaking great!! The modifications make is easy-breezy. And I bet the coral zipper is the cats’ meow!!

2 Likes

This is so. COOL! I am super impressed you dove right in. I’d love to do something like this. You rock!

2 Likes

The pleats look sharp! Any patterns I bought 15 years ago would now be way too small for me… :rofl:

2 Likes

Your instincts were sound. I actually do not think a collar and pockets would improve the design at all. And I also much prefer the pleats to fussy gathers. It is lovely as it is. Well done on finishing something from 15 years ago. I have a couple of things like that and maybe I should look at finishing them too :flushed:

2 Likes

Good call on losing the collar, but I might have had a stab at the pockets :slight_smile:
Love the fabric and it looks great on you

2 Likes

It looks great and it’s really cute on you. Would never guess you aren’t a seamstress!

2 Likes

It came out so good! I’ve been sewing since I was a tiny little thing, and I still can’t sew clothes. Can I see the coral zipper? I picture it being really cool pop of color.

2 Likes

This looks incredible! I would never have guessed it was home made. I think you are putting away that sewing machine too soon. You have a knack for it. You look great!!! :tada:

2 Likes