Layers of ruffles skirt

I’ve been thinking about the hem weights – that front hem is pretty narrow. But I think if I sew the weights onto a band and then blind stitch it inside that it could work!

Oh yeah, long skirts + stairs + babies + teacups = too many opportunities to crash and burn!

2 Likes

Thank you!

I hope short pencil skirt lady likes her clothes, too. And I hope that, after bravely picking her way through the snow in high heels, she was able to go home, get into some flannel pajamas and snuggle under a fluffy afghan! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This stunning skirt has been picked as one of this week’s featured projects. Thank you for being an awesome part of LettuceCraft. You rock!

4 Likes

This skirt is awesome! It is such fun, so frilly, yet functional in its warmth, modesty, and pockets. Da bomb! Da goat! Da skirt!

I have not found the this rocks button so it’s great to see this skirt chosen as a featured project!

1 Like

Aw, wow!! Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

haha Thanks to you, too!

1 Like

Great skirt! Thanks for sharing! :metal:t2:

Congratulations too.

I just add :metal:t2: and I make sure I press the :heart:

2 Likes

This is an old thread, but an amazing skirt.

I want to make me a steampunk outfit but want to have my own twist - all the ladies I see seem to be going 1 of 2 ways- either full, floor length, extended Victorian skirts or short and raunchy. I ain’t a short and raunchy person and I tend to trip myself up with long skirts so this seems like a really good solution.
I can do it ankle length do I don’t trip over it, the frills can be lacey and I love the waistband threaded ties at back. As someone else whose weight fluctuates, that’s a cool way to deal with that issue.
Umm. Now do I get calico and dye it, use denim, or see if I can find another suitable fabric somewhere?

Thank you do much for posting this. Wonderful inspiration :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Maybe a feature waistband, wider in front and stiffened to keep it from folding up.

Drapery weights might help, they’re tiny lead weights in a cloth tube. Maybe 1/4" diameter , flexible, easy to sew in or encase in a hem. But that’s going to make the skirt even heavier.
I think that’s why panniers and hoop skirts were popular; volume without so much weight.

I’m glad to live in an age where I can wear trousers and you can wear skirts!

1 Like

I know what you mean about the extremes on length! I think, were I to do this one again, I would shorten it a bit so that it hit just below the top of my boots. I’m actually wearing it today! It’s fun feeling it swirl around when I walk. :smiley:
I have been pretty pleased with how the ties have worked out. I can adjust it throughout the day if need be. I used grosgrain ribbon which holds a bow well, so no wardrobe malfunctions have occurred!

1 Like

Yes, I think the wide, stiffened waistband is the way to go. It shouldn’t be too tough to put in.

LOL Hear, hear! There’s so much freedom in dress nowadays and it really is fantastic.