LC Shawl-Along ~ Knitters & Crocheters Unite!

If the shawl ends up a bit smaller than you anticipated blocking will help give you more length. Also if those points weren’t so clear or curling, it’d help with that too. But otherwise, I’d say you’re safe to skip it.

3 Likes

Hm. I could probably handle wash and lay flat to dry, lol. I need a good “lay flat” space.

Soap-wise, @JoyfulClover recommended Soak to me, which seems like a good option.

I’m calling it done…for now.

4 Likes

Hey lady - I had to scroll up to see your fantastic knitting! I just love it!

I do like Soak, but a standard 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner (I know, I know) really does just as well. I even block acrylic. It’s just that last little sparkle detail. It typically allows the fibers to bloom a bit. It gets those stubborn edges and corners. And it smells great!

BUT, there is also zero judgement if you are just done, and ready to move on. I’ve also gifted non-blocked and I’ve never had someone recoil in offense, either! It wears just as well! Do you, my friend!!! So excited to see the FO!

4 Likes

I’ve used the ironing board for skinny shawls. Just folded it in half when shaping and let some small bits dangle off it. Better than trying to find a long surface and trying to keep the cats off it.

Plus if you block it now it’s easier to give washing directions to the recipient.

2 Likes

Why is that?

I too avoid the extra step of blocking yarn things but this conversation is talking me into it. I’ve read about people using those colourful foam puzzle piece play mat things for blocking since you can configure them to fit & easily poke pins in. Or a sheet of solid blue foam insulation.

I also read a conditioner can soften fibers allowing them to be stretched quite a bit, you might be able to expand that shawl a few inches by blocking with that in mind.

@Abbeeroad your shawl is gorgeous, the colours are amazing too.

If the garment is going to misbehave I’d rather it do so when I’m washing it I guess :sweat_smile:

I can see if the colour will run or if the garment will want to grow a lot when wet. Sure, I can guess some of those things depending on yarn used.

I just like to make sure that it’ll look as good as it can and not come with surprise features when washed I guess.

2 Likes

I am going to start including care instructions for things I give away…I just assumed people knew how to care for garments and accessories, but maybe not…

2 Likes

Great points!

AIMR - I am definitely going to make labels for these shawls.

Speaking of which, I’m having a hard time settling on a pattern and yarn combo for my next one. I’ve had a yarn and pattern sitting in my cart since yesterday that I think would be perfect for one of the recipients, but I already have 3 skeins waiting to be knitted up here, and know I can find a good free pattern…such a dilemma.

2 Likes

I have a pattern but I need to get the yarn…the yarn they show would cost me way too much money, so I am looking for an alternative…too many choices and not enough time!

3 Likes

My next shawl is waiting to be wound into cakes. I’ve done one of the skeins and have two left. I could just wind one more and then start since the first part is striped and the third skein comes after the striped part.

It’s going to be a real treat to make. Wool from Swedish heirloom Värmland sheep in 3 shades of natural colour and with a green border as a finishing touch.

Although the plan is to finish the previous kit first… Yarn from the wool of Tabackstorp-sheep. There are not many sheep of that breed so the pattern is wristwarmers :laughing:

On the topic of shawl patterns. Here are some I’ve made and enjoyed:

https://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter09/KSPATTbitterroot.php
Free pattern, and the first lace shawl I knitted. I’d say it’s a decent beginner pattern since it starts out fairly simple and once you get to the beads and the border you’re already warmed up.

https://knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTannis.php
I chickened out and didn’t knit the nupps. I found an alternative lace chart for the shawl on ravelry and added some beads, because why not?

Not a free pattern, it was in a magazine called ”The Knitter” so you might need to hunt for that issue. Anniken Allis designs beautiful shawls so almost any pattern by her should be good.

I loved knitting this! The Filisilk is a joy to work with and the pattern is fun and quite easy to remember after a bit of knitting.

4 Likes

That bitterroot pattern is gorgeous!

1 Like

I know I’m late to the party, but I’ve had a lot going on. :slightly_smiling_face:

Abbie, your shawl is lovely! And blocking is great. It’s not hard, and it can really change the hand & drape of your finished item. The washing component gets the sizing and other crud out of the yarn, in case the person wearing has sensitivities to detergents, and leaves you with a perfectly shaped piece that shows off the detail work that went into it.

I use these blocking boards that I picked up on Amazon, after doing some research and reading tons of reviews. I really love them. I know lots of people like the cheapness of the playmats, but I’m SOOOO glad I invested in these. Not only are they gridded, to help you lay/pin out your piece in straight lines, but the printing of the grids is perfect, and they are good and thick, so there’s you’re not stabbing straight through into a table or something when you use them. Some other brands grids don’t line up when you interlock them, but these align perfectly. I got the original set of 9 boards, that came in a zip up case. But they also have an option to buy a set of 3. Over the course of doing a few larger projects, I have bought 2 more sets of 3, for a total of 15 boards, for really weird shaped projects. They are great.

6 Likes

Oh great, one more awesome thing to put in my amazon cart haha. I need to start selling my yarn to pay for my yarning habit!

I haven’t started my shawl project, but I have 2 summer yarns I want to work on before the season is over so I better get cracking!

3 Likes

Great info - thanks, friend!

I started shawl #2 last night! Actually I started, ripped, restarted, ripped, started again, ripped again, 4th times the charm, I guess? For some reason, I kept skipping Row 2 (I think the starter row was throwing off my internal count). Once I straightened that out, it was so much better. Hopefully this is not a sign of how the rest of the shawl will go. :sweat_smile:

Pattern:

6 Likes

I have a few(many) skeins of the yarn she is using…I like that pattern and might join you in starting this one…

2 Likes

Oooo! Fun! You’ll probably fly past me. :laughing:

1 Like

I will be vacationing with my sister…she is the kind that fills up each day with site-seeing and shopping, so I doubt that I will get a lot done! I do have a very long layover on my way home since our airport is small and flights are limited…knitting is a good way to sort of socially isolate without being impolite!

3 Likes

Words to live by!

2 Likes

I have used this pattern…it’s a fun knit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve finally got a shawl on the hook. Not one I had already planned, mind, but a whole new one that will hopefully be a Christmas present for a friend. It’s the Classical Attitude shawl from Hobbii. I’m doing it in a discontinued colorway of the yarn Cotton Kings called Twirls Nation “Washington, DC.” (Red, White, and Blue.)

8 Likes