LC Shawl-Along ~ Knitters & Crocheters Unite!

That geometry shawl is gorgeous.

Iā€™ve been in love with the Wingspan Shawl for ages, but I donā€™t knit. Finally used the excuse to dig around Ravelry today to find something similar in crochet. Found the Wings of Love shawl. Iā€™ve linked to a random project of it below, but not to the pattern itself, because honestly I think this example shows it off so much better than the yarn used in the one on the pattern page.

Wings of Love

3 Likes

Thatā€™s really beautiful!

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to make it out of something like thisā€¦

With the black at the center back, and fading out to the lightest purple, which would end up making the lines along the edges of the feathers.

3 Likes

That would be gorgeous!

1 Like

That would look great! & I love the yarn! :smiley:

1 Like

The mystery project! Ah!

@AIMR - I looked at the pattern andā€¦I would need a lot of videos to understand how to do the joining as you go, lol. Someday I wonā€™t need that crutch (maybe). The shawl is beautiful. Reminds me of the crochet virus shawl a bit, which I always admired.

1 Like

Apparently they will do custom gradient yarns for you. Based on the weight and length you are ordering you can pick 3-7 colors from their charts. How tempting is that?!?

I looked into it, based on that example shawl that I shared which used that yarn, she needed about 1750 yards, so Iā€™d have to order their 1660 yds gradient cake + a single color small cake of 200 yds, OR a larger 2077 yd cake, which would leave me with leftovers. The larger 2077 yd is $55, and the smaller 1660 cake is $43 plus $8.50 for a small single color. So pretty comparable in price, and with the added benefit that you could purposely pick deeper colors for the body of the shawl, and your single color cake could be lighter, giving a good definition of the feathers, without the worry that youā€™d finish at the ā€˜wrongā€™ color of the cake.

I think once I finish Ms. Abbieā€™s not-so-secret surprise shawl, and then stash bust a bit more, I might order a custom gradient cake as my birthday present to myself in September.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty awesome - Iā€™ll have to keep them in mind for future projects!

1 Like

I finished my shawl!!

So little yarn left!

9 Likes

It looks great! What stitch is that? It almost looks like it is woven! Love those colors!

2 Likes

Wow! thatā€™s a double ā€œknitting winā€ right there! will you use the little yarn left to make a complementary accessory? A broach, perhaps. Or top to a shawl pinā€¦

It came out so pretty- you have great tension.

3 Likes

Yay, that looks great! Love the jagged edging.

2 Likes

@AIMR - I think itā€™s just the yarn that makes it look woven itā€™s just garter stitch. Lots and lots of garter stitch lol.

@AntBee - I will probably keep it for scrappy projects. Iā€™m actually excited about building a scrappy yarn stash. Weird?

@sheepBlue - thanks! I love that detail too!

Hoping to get better pics in the daylight today for a proper post.

2 Likes

Not weird at all! Especially with the type of art you create. I have mine in apothecary jars on top of a cabinet to be able to see it all but stay dust-free. (and because Iā€™m a sucker for the jars lol).
I also keep some small amounts labeled in baggies with the project listed on the front for special projects or gifts so if it ever needs mending I can find the yarn if I donā€™t want to do visible mending.

3 Likes

I have small amounts of yarn from every project I every made since about 2000ā€¦I have special yarns, like koigu leftovers in a baggieā€¦I use those to make linen stitch scarves (tedious stitch takes me forever!)ā€¦

It is nice to have a collection for embellishments for prayer flags, fabric pages, etc. etc. I am going to try some weaving as wellā€¦SAVE THE SCRAPS!

2 Likes

I love the idea of jars for scrap storage! I can just see shelves lined with jars of scrapsā€¦beautiful. Sigh

I loved the linen stitch scarf you posted, always! I have it on my ā€œto make FOR ME somedayā€ list.

So, what are everyoneā€™s thoughts on blocking? I feel like this really doesnā€™t need it, itā€™s pretty flat except maybe the one bind-off end is a little curly, and I feel like that part will curl again even if I blocked it. This is a gift and I want to do it right. I have a history of being lazy when it comes to finishingā€¦but Iā€™m undecided.

1 Like

Unless it is a really lacy pattern that needs to be blocked to show off the pattern, I never blockā€¦yeah, lazy but also really couldnā€™t tell the difference once wornā€¦

2 Likes

This is what I think, too. Thanks for making me feel better about it!

2 Likes

I always block shawls. At a minimum Iā€™ll give it a bath, remove excess water and then dry flat laid out in the correct shape. The yarn will bloom and relax into the stitches plus Iā€™ll remove whatever gunk is in it after lugging it around while knitting. If thereā€™s a lot of lace there will be pins and possibly some stretching involved too.

Lace absolutely needs blocking. Itā€™ll be the difference between something resembling boiled cabbage and a delicate lace shawl.

Acrylic does well with a gentle steam blocking, and it gives a better drape in my opinion. Just remember itā€™s permanent and try not to melt it by holding the iron too close.

Edit: Iā€™d just wash and dry flat for your shawl. Itā€™ll make it look more finished. No pins needed. Soak with a nice wool wash (or shampoo). Rinse or not depending on the wash used. Roll into a towel to get water out. Lay flat to dry.

3 Likes