Leafy Upcycled Trunk Footstool

Well, things are finally chilling out in Minneapolis so I thought it would be safe to do some errands and finish this project. I still ended up going to Fridley to avoid any issues and actually find an open store. Not that I’ve been avoiding “issues,” per say. I used to live two blocks from where George Floyd was murdered so I felt I needed to protest some. If you want some wackadoo stories from that message me. Man… so I wanted to make a cheap footstool with storage so I bought a very old box at an estate sale. That was $10. I had the fabric in my stash that was from a thrift store for $3 I think. I don’t remember how much the foam was. Maybe $8? Then the wheels were $16. This was a project I started a year ago. I first used some bat and raven fabric to upholster it, then didn’t finish it. It looked weird. The foam was too tall.

I finally redid it. I cut the foam in half, took off the hinges which I was reticent to do, for good reason; the screws were small and old and a bitch to take out. I had to replace the hinges after I tucked the fabric in with an actual GOOD staple gun. Lol. That looked much better. I added some ribbon to hold up the cover so it doesn’t fly back. I added the casters on the bottom then upholstered the inside. Then last minute I added pockets on the sides for remotes.

All in all about $37. I think it looks pretty cool. My partner was very skeptical about this project but hes very happy with it now. Lol. Thanks for looking!

16 Likes

Wow! Very cute! And so functional, too.

1 Like

Ooh I have a large chunk of upholstery foam too and was thinking to do something similar. Thanks for the inspo!

1 Like

Great upcycle!
I love the fabric you used.

1 Like

This looks absolutely amazing! I love how the leaf fabric coordinates with the wood. What a treasure and less than what you’d pay for a crappy footstool with no storage at a store these days. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love it! It looks great. Love the fabrics you ended up with. I could use something like that! :smile:

1 Like

Nice job!

1 Like

Awesome project! I love how it came out. Great fabric, great functionality.

1 Like

This is gorgeous! Nice work!

1 Like