Learning to draw and doodle

Hi,

I want to learn how to draw, and I don’t know and/or am overwhelmed about where to start. Do you have any favorite drawing websites / accounts / tutotrials / videos?

Thank you!

6 Likes

Hi! For doodling designs, I like to go to Pinterest and search for boards (collections) named “zentangle”. What I really like is there are so many little step-by-step visual guides to creating various designs. So many people make these instructive illustrations that I haven’t seen a central place where they all live; therefore Pinterest has been the most useful source of this kind of instruction for me. Here is an example of a board of Zentangle designs, chosen at random.

I don’t have any specific sources for learning to draw, unfortunately, since I still don’t know what I’m doing, myself. :smile: I just heard folks talking about the book “Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain,” so that might be worth looking into.

2 Likes

I love Stephanie Fizer Coleman for drawing/illustration tutorials. She’s got an email list that you can join or you can explore her offerings here.

1 Like

Can you get books from your library? Or ebooks from them? That would be another good free resource.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this book. “You can Draw in 30 days” by Mark Kistler. He also has a youtube channel. He has a playlist with 13 days of learning to draw (I assume from the book?):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz1sx_OOFjAVtKswPPW8EFu_DP9iZh48Z
He has so many more videos on his youtube channel as well.

“Drawing on the Right side of the Brain” is a good book too. I’ve read a good portion of this one.

I think I would start with Mark’s book though as it is a lot more hands on and geared towards someone just starting to draw. Its been a number of years since I read the second book, and I know there are exercises, but there’s also a lot of reading and theory. Maybe try this one after the Mark Kistler book?

1 Like

The few things I can draw convincingly I learned to draw from Mark Kistler’s Imagination Station PBS show! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Otherwise I’m not sure I’m qualified to weigh in on this. Just thrilled to be reminded of MK today.)

2 Likes

Thank you all! I will see where this leads me. Also the city library does seem to have both books! And I really appreciate the online resources while I figure out how the library works nowadays… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most of the drawing tutorial youtube channels I watch are for drawing on Procreate. Do you want to draw digitally or on paper? I have tons of recommendations if you’re interested in digital.

1 Like

I’m interested in both! Do I need any specialized tools for drawing digitally? If not (or if reasonable) I would definitely be interested

1 Like