Lemon Slice Magnet

For the L-and-C Grab Bag Swap, I tried to make items that were both L and C. So the first thing I thought of to make was a Lemon / Citrus slice fridge magnet.

I had some air-dry clay leftover from a Christmas project, and this seemed like a perfect use for it. Because I’m not super-confident about my sculpting skills, I turned to YouTube, where I found a nice tutorial:

I followed it, but loosely. For example, I did intentionally make it non-transparent (because of the magnet on the back) and thicker so it would be sturdy and easy to pick up. Also, I wanted mine to be a little more cartoon-ish than 100% realistic. So I gave it a plumper profile and sparser pulp texture. And I knew I was planning to paint it with glaze, so I did not color the clay itself.

Once it was good and dry, I painted it with Triple-Thick Glaze (mixed with yellow alcohol ink), and attached the magnet. Last, I covered the back with felt (after cutting a magnet-sized hole in the middle of it) to give it a finished look.

While I’ve never had much luck crafting with clay, the tutorial helped me make something that turned out pretty cute.

18 Likes

Great job… it looks just like the real thing!

3 Likes

I LOVE this! I have never tried to glaze anything but now I might have to. It looks amazing!

2 Likes

I love it!

2 Likes

So cute and, dare I say, refreshing-looking! I’ve been on a kick mixing a little lemonade into my seltzer lately so this is really speaking to me.

2 Likes

Very cute!

1 Like

This is wonderful !

2 Likes

That is so neat! You did a great job.

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

And @kittykill, I noticed we both thought “lemon!” for the L.

1 Like

I’m so tickled to be on the the receiving end of this juicy creativity! I love how this turned out and it’s proudly hanging out on my file cabinet in my office where I can see it every day!

1 Like