Leonardo da Vinci Sketch Quilt

Yesterday I finished my latest sketch quilt. I was so excited to finally have it done that it’s already on my bed and hasn’t even been washed yet. The chalk marks show where I had to sew it for it to look the way I wanted. I handsew with 2 layers of stitching (shallow and medium) and machine stitch for more depth and to stabilize the quilt to give it the 3D faux-trapunto effect. I started it in October so glad it’s done. It has 2 layers of batting - cotton and acrylic so it has a nice weight and is warm!

18 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

This is very cool!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Leonardo da Vinci Sketch Quilt is one of this week’s featured projects. You rock!

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s gorgeous!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you. :grinning:

I’m super impressed by your handstitching/machine stitching method and I really like how your quilting accentuated the drawing! It created a lovely effect.

1 Like

Thank you. I enjoy doing it but it is a time suck deluxe. lol

1 Like

Oh my goodness! So much hand-sewing. You are a beast! I would have thrown in the towel before even starting, but the results are beautiful. Well worth it.

2 Likes

This quilt is so beautiful! I love the complimentary colors!

Also, what is a sketch quilt?

Thank you for the compliment.

A sketch quilt is what I’ve been calling the technique I do to give a sketch panel a 3-D effect. I haven’t come cross the technique anywhere else so just started calling it that so it’d have a name.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of sketch panels before! An a technique you invented is so freaking cool!

1 Like