Leprechaun Trap Cake

My kiddos and I made a leprechaun trap cake this year. We followed directions from notmartha.org—which was one of my favorite blogs, and sadly has been lying fallow for years. Kids will be thrilled tomorrow to see that we caught a leprechaun, but he ate his way through, leaving icing footprints and a trail of edible glitter and mayhem on his way. We’ll see if the rainbow in the inside comes out ok!

(Edit to add:)
Kiddos were super thrilled. They ran in and woke me up at the crack of dawn to tell me all about it. Then they made me scroll through all of our ring footage at the front door and driveway looking for the leprechaun. Fortunately the neighborhood cats and possums were extra active last night. The rainbow turned out great! I used one box of white cake mix and an angel food pan at 325 f. I found a spoon easier than piping the runny batter out in concentric rings. 6 oz red batter, 5 oz orange, 4 yellow, and so on for each ring, using whatever remaining white was left in the very bottom of the pan. I also only trimmed the teeniest bit off the bottom of the baked cake for it to sit level, so the underside was a bit domed, but I’m glad I didn’t trim more, or the purple would have been shaved away.

31 Likes

I love it, that is fantastic! I’d love to see a shot of the rainbow inside if you get a chance.

2 Likes

Oh my! This is so much fun!

2 Likes

This is so gosh darn cute. :heart_eyes: Lovely job! And what a great memory!

2 Likes

Ah!!! Amazing!!! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Adorable idea with a flawless execution. This is super clever, and I hope your kiddos were delighted with both the outcome of the cake and their little “visitor.” :smiley:

2 Likes

Hilarious AND adorable! Looks pretty tasty, too!

2 Likes

Enchanting and cool! This is such a fun idea and I like the idea of altering it while they sleep to show they caught one.

2 Likes

What a great life…eating through cake to make an escape…sigh

Wonderful…and a rainbow inside? Just so cute and nice project for the family…

1 Like

Adorable! What a fun idea!!! And ditto on wanting to see a rainbow shot!

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I edited to add my kiddos’ reaction plus interior shot. Y’all are sweet. Xoxo

2 Likes

So fantastic! The story about the Ring footage cracked me up!

1 Like

Well, this just totally made my day.

1 Like

Oh jeeze, is it the 17th already?

Cute cake!

1 Like

Haha! It’s still just the 15–just a weekend project for kids and it’s close enough for me. :wink:

1 Like

This is beyond marvelous. My mom always did cute goofy stuff for holidays, nibbled cookies, carrots, bunny foot prints (wet fingers pressed into plant dirt) & the like. We do sweet things for our kids now, it’s a great tradition. Your little ones will have these lovely, fun memories for life. Go you!

2 Likes

How fun!

1 Like

I can’t wait to do this with my kiddo! We need a few more years for him to understand, but I’m getting lots of really good ideas!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Leprechaun Trap Cake is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of this before, but it sounds, looks - and I bet TASTES - like a lot of fun!!!

1 Like