Light box for tracing embroidery patterns

Howdy! My mom asked me to ask y’all what kind of light box she should get to help her trace patterns onto her tea towels that she embroiders. She probably wants to spend under $50 because this is all she’ll use it for, not for “art” as she puts it.
Suggestions?

2 Likes

I use my tablet. Set brightness to max, lay pattern on top, add fabric, trace.

Even better if I have the design on the tablet, I can skip the pattern AND resize if needed.
The design can jump around a bit as you trace the pattern; put a piece of glass (from a picture frame) on top to prevent that.

4 Likes

Until I picked up a light box for a dollar or two at a garage sale, I just used a window as a makeshift light box. It actually works very well (but obviously has to be day time.) Tape the items to the glass so they don’t shift positions.

If I needed a light box during dark hours, I would do a DIY version. You can put a desk lamp in a crate and cover it with a sheet of acrylic or glass.

@steiconi’s tablet version sounds even better.

2 Likes

That’s what I do too! Or computer screen.

2 Likes

My mom uses a window in the sun but it’s probably hurting her arms and back to be in the tracing position on a vertical surface. I’m not sure if they have any glass they could put on a box with a lamp under it. I’m thinking yes, but I also know they’ve been trying to get rid of stuff.

1 Like

Can she print her patterns on something like Sulky? I rarely trace anything anymore…find the pattern, print, attach, stitch, soak off in hot water…

3 Likes

My light box is decades old and florescent, I imagine there are lots of great LED options online that are nice and thin online. I wish I could give you a specific brand or model.

It would be easy to build one. Cardboard box with a hole, glass from a picture frame, small light, like a puck light. Could probably get all you need at a thrift store or dollar store.

Ooh, cigar box, puck light, 8x10 glass, done!

1 Like

No, dad insisted on rescuing an old printer that he does upkeep on.

Genius!- piece of glass on top of a tablet, then I would use tracing paper on top of the glass. I usually tape to the patio widows but that tires out my arms.

Edit: I just tried this using an image saved to my laptop that has a touch screen, I increased the size of a detail, then laid an 8x10 piece of glass over it. Why did I not know this before now?

2 Likes

This is what I do - or on my tablet as others have suggested.

1 Like

Use an empty frame with glass propped up on a box with a cutout or on books with a bright lamp below.

Or fill the box with an led string of white lights. Something on that line.

1 Like

Check Hobby Lobby. They have a set there that is for t-shirts and it has a light pad in with it. At one point, it was on clearance for $5 for the entire set because I got my Mom one. Assuming it was because of the ink /paints or whatever it was with it aging. Would imagine they have them again.

1 Like

Great idea! I was trying to trace something on my phone the other day and eventually gave up because it was so frustrating, I wish I had seen this sooner!

2 Likes