Linen nightgowns

I bought 4 yards of seafoam green handkerchief weight linen back in… October, I think. And I made these in… November? I just hadn’t gotten around to posting. I used no pattern because I couldn’t find one that I liked. I just went with really simple silhouettes, mostly helped by the shirring I did. After I do a project with shirring, I want to shirr all the things!

On the short-sleeved one, there is shirring from the neckline to the end of the sleeve. Actually, that’s what gives it a sleeve shape. It was basically just a rectangle before I did that. Also, you can see there is some around the waist. Elastic neckline. The photos make the color look kind of pale gray, but it’s really pale green, I promise.

For the long-sleeved one, I used a tunic pattern I have and just lengthened it. Elastic at the cuffs and shirring under the bust.

I was proud of this project because I used all the fabric except for the small off-cuts from around the long sleeves and the necklines. Those bits got thrown in the quilt scrap bag and I have nothing else to deal with and try to conjure up a project for!

15 Likes

Beautiful! I love working with linen…and clothing made from linen is lovely to wear…so comfortable in all weather!

Love how you have used the shirring to give them shape…

2 Likes

These look so comfy and fresh. I like the ribbon accent you added to the short-sleeved one too.

2 Likes

Pretty! Someday I will try shirring…

1 Like

These are darling!

1 Like

These are so delicate and sweet.

1 Like

Lovely. I want linen bedding but it is so expensive.

1 Like

Thanks, everybody!

@AIMR Linen really is a dream!

@gozer Thanks! I thought it looked kind of plain and sad, then I remembered that I had tiny ribbon roses that could be put to good use!

@Bunny1kenobi You should! It’s actually not hard. I just let the machine do all the work, that’s my secret. :wink:

We splurged on linen sheets last year, they are a dream to sleep in. I bet these nighties feel delicious on the skin.

1 Like

I am very much enjoying them!