Little Alien Advent Calendar

When my niece was pregnant, I designed a couple of fabrics to use for baby clothes for her daughter. My husband and I, my SIL and my niece and nephew all worked together at a haunted attraction for several years, where my niece was an alien, so that is the theme we settled on.

My grand-niece loved that little alien, so this year, while making her a reusable advent calendar, I chose to bring Lilien (for Lil’ Alien) back.

I made the calendar blank out of cotton twill and some of my large vintage binding stash. The rest is all hand painting. Like the original fabric design, it is meant to be deliberately childlike, so I’m fine with it being a little sloppy, but I,would not choose to paint on twill again. No such thing as a clean line. Also, doggy dinnertime interrupted my 18, and when I went back, my brain had ratcheted to the next number, so I painted a 9 instead of an 8. Mostly recovered from that one. The painting looks more even in person, especially when it is against a wall, rather than hanging in air with a light behind it… But yeah. So now to get a rod and hang twine and some goodies!

25 Likes

I love how personalized this is :smiley:

The 18 looks totally fine, you’re the only one who will ever know if you don’t point it out.

2 Likes

This is adorably awesome!! Your lines look very clean from here and I agree, the 18 blends right in. Sure to be treasured!

1 Like

She is going to love it! I love that you went with an unconventional but meaningful theme for her!

Looks great!

1 Like

This is so much fun! It’s non-traditional but carries a lot of meaning…this will be treasured for sure.

1 Like

How wonderfully personal and sweet! I love it. Do the numbers have pockets?
The painting is great and you definitely can’t tell you messed up on number 18.

1 Like

So cute! Love that the alien has two little Santa hats. (Sounds like the haunted attraction was a fun job, too!)

1 Like

Yeah, the rows of pale pink binding are the top edges of pockets. The pockets are fairly flat, but are 2.75" by just shy of 3", so a gift card, little candy treats, pens, pencils, erasers, a matchbox car, will all fit. The long stuff won’t fit all the way, but I was limited to 4" long on the stuff I did in the paper calendar I made last years, so this opens up some other possibilities.

The blank was so easy to make. One piece 18" x 24", four pieces 18" x 3.5", and three pieces 6" x 3" (or really, these are for the tabs and are super flexible size-wise), plus 1 pkg each of 1/4" and 1/2" double fold binding. I have enough material to make a second, and thought about making my friend’s boys an advent calendar that was DIY. Like. Making up a blank, and this year, decorating the calendar IS the calendar. Lol

2 Likes

My goodness this is wonderful! So weirdly specific to your grand niece and you and all the memories with the family, etc. I can just imagine a future partner encountering this for the first time with bemused bafflement and them getting to hear the story full of love.

3 Likes

It doesn’t look sloppy at all to me. I think it’s great! It will make a cool gift for her.

2 Likes

So personal, unique and perfect! I love it!

1 Like

:space_invader: :black_heart: :rocket: Congratulations! Your lovely Little Alien Advent Calendar is a featured project this week! :rocket: :black_heart: :space_invader:

P.S. I edited your post to put the picture of the calendar at the top, so that’s the thumbnail image that would show in our Featured Projects header at the top of the landing page. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is so cute and its such an adorable story!

2 Likes

How cute and absolutely adorable! Those little planet ornaments are the icing on the cake!

1 Like

I love the two front teeth! Is that what Lilien wanted for Christmas? :smile:

1 Like