Little Bird Cross Stitch Ornament

I made this little bird cross stitch for the Ongoing Wish Swap in August. I love making little cross stitches and putting them into old canning rings. Canning is another of my loves, so I find it a great way to use up rings that I can no longer use. I cut out a circle of foam core board, spray glue on some fabric, push in to hold the cross stitch into place. To keep it all there, I hot glued some trim along the inside.

Link to pattern: https://www.etsy.com/listing/274270288/red-robin-cross-stitch-pattern-pdf-cute?ref=shop_home_active_6&crt=1

21 Likes

Never have I ever heard of using canning rings, but this is brilliant! The pattern is super cute as well

2 Likes

Very cute and love the idea of a canning lid for the hoop

1 Like

This so so sweet. Beautiful.

1 Like

Such a smart idea! It is so sweet.

So cute! A lovely little birdie. :slight_smile:

I also really love the idea of using a canning ring instead of a small hoop. Nice way to re-use something that had already served its purpose. It makes a sweet, vintage frame for your lovely little bird. He looks happy in his house. :relaxed:

2 Likes

What a happy little bird! And a great re-use for the canning ring!

1 Like

Adorable bird :heart_eyes:
The idea of a canning ring is brilliant.

1 Like

This little guy lives at my house now! I love birds and have a collection of them from various swaps…each is unique and special! The stitches are so tiny and perfect…x-stitch is not one of my strengths, but I love it! I was going to hang him on my Christmas tree, but, heck, so cute that I am going to keep him out in my crafting room all year!

Thanks for a cutie…and I agee…the canning lid frame is very resourceful and adds a bit of vintage feel!

2 Likes

This is adorable! My grandmother used to make little cross-stitch pieces and put them into milk lids and use the rings to secure them. This has inspired me to maybe try doing that myself. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OMG this is so so cute!

2 Likes