Little office sign from scraps

In the Hungarian/Magyar-English dictionary I’m gradually disassembling, I encountered the entry that fits the basic description of my office. So I made a magnetic sign with it just for fun to stick on my cubicle wall.

More specifically, my office processes and catalogs materials from around the world in 20+ languages, so I added some scraps of additional non-English text and maps. I learned afterward that the vietnamese text translates to “happy customer,” which is quite appropriate too!
The whole thing is scrap material: the outer edge is the waste material that surrounded a chipboard sticker; the red swirly bits (painted) were the negative space punched out from a larger laser-cut scrapbook accessory; the red background is from a wristband everyone has to wear when entering the building during phased reopening; the backing is from a box of granola bars; and the magnet on the back was one of those business-card sized promotional items, with the advertisement peeled off. All sealed with gloss-finish mod-podge. Now I’m looking at the photo of it, I think I’ll add more green to cover the brown wonky stripes.

27 Likes

Amazing! I love the wee bitty bits & pieces, & that lacquer red, ooh…

1 Like

Love the use of negative scraps!
The whole thing is mysterious and foreign. Fascinating!
It reminds me of stuff I’d find in Chinatown years ago.

3 Likes

Very cool!

1 Like

I love this and I liked hearing about where everything came from. It’s like a miniature scrapbook. Now I’m thinking about making little magnets to commemorate a special day with items I collected that day (ticket stub, napkin, meter ticket, candy wrapper).

You are very creative.

3 Likes

How cool and inventive!

1 Like

Such a cool effect, and with scraps. I especially like that you reused the promotional magnet.

1 Like

I love how you made something so charming and a propos from (basically) nothing!

Thanks y’all! Here is the source of the swirly red shapes; I think this came from the amazing stash of either MissingWillow or cackle.

So many interesting little bits to use without even getting to the actual fence shape yet!

2 Likes

Ooh, I love this idea! Using the extra bits that would have been trash! You know you’re a crafter when…

1 Like

:trophy: Yahoo! Your awesome craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :trophy:

1 Like

Thank you!! Könyvfeldolgozó pride! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Congratulations! Your project was one of the Best of 2021! Yoooooou ROCK!