A dear friend is expecting soon so I made a height chart in the woodland/Miyazaki theme of her kiddo’s room. The original idea was just a simple plant because she has a deep abiding love for plants of all sorts as well.
It’s been a long time since I’ve done freezer paper stenciling, and I’ve never done one this big. I had to cut the stencil in 3 sections and ironed it down in pieces.
I ran into problems when I attempted to stencil the numbers on. I didn’t think about the pen I used to draw on the shape and it ended up bleeding into the white fabric paint I was using
I went through trying a number of things to fix it or cover it up including adding more layers of white to cover it up, then trying a “light” gray when that didn’t work - light gray ended up too dark, and bled as well. I then tried to iron on a layer of white cotton with fusing which peeled off after some testing (I was worried about durability). Finally I decided to glue some felt on with E6000. Finally a solution I felt ok with. Up until I tried the felt, I was very close to binning the whole thing.
I was afraid that the green was either going to blend with the plant too much, or be too stark in contrast, but I was surprised that it works. Obviously. It took me way too long to give it a shot. Lesson learned.