Long coat for a cutie

My 14-year-old daughter asked for a long, tan coat. She had a vision of how she wanted it to look when she walked. I had trouble finding exactly what I wanted ready-made, so I decided to make it myself. I wanted it to be a Christmas gift, so naturally I waited until a few days before Christmas to start it.

While one of my goals is to work on drafting my own patterns, I didn’t have time to do it for this project. So it was Simplicity 8797 to the rescue:

The outer fabric came from Hobby Lobby (the only “fabric store” in town), while the lining came from my hoard, I mean stash. I was a bit nervous (about finishing in time and whether she would be disappointed that it was mom-made), but she declared it true love at first sight. It seems she and her friends especially love the lining (a pinkish-red brocade with a bamboo shoot pattern) deeming it “swanky.”

I did adapt some elements, rather than following all the directions. But like to think of most pattern directions as being like the pirate code - more like guidelines.

19 Likes

Oh wow! This is lovely. And the lining IS swanky!

1 Like

The coat you made is beautiful! And I had to snicker a bit at the part where you mention you waited until a few days before Christmas to make it…because that is so me.

3 Likes

It turned out fab! The lining adds a nice unexpected pop of color. Your dd looks great in it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed, that looks very warm and fashionable. It’s clear your daughter loves it!

1 Like

so cute and she looks super cute in it. i love a girl who knows exactly what she wants and a maker mom who can provide!

her shirt kinds says it all.

2 Likes

It is very cool. She is stylin’ in her OOAK mom-made coat! Nice!

1 Like

uh oh, mom…now all of her friends know you sew…guess which house is going to be the most popular one?! :slight_smile:

Your DD has good taste…plus, even if she tires of it as younger people tend to do, keep it for her…it is a classic style that will around even as she goes out into the world later (much later, right?)…

She is so cool…and so is mom.

snicker pirate code…yep… ha

3 Likes

That is one amazing last minute gift, mom! Yay, you! And yes, swanky is an excellent descriptor.

1 Like

Awesome job mom! And yeah, that is some super swanky lining. Well done.

1 Like

Whoa! You made a coat! That is incredible!

1 Like

Stunning! and I laughed at the “I waited til 2 days before to start it” as well!

1 Like

I am impressed by the updated look from what [appears to be] a dated pattern I grew up with!

Really posh, and the color is great!

\m/

1 Like

:rofl: Some of us never learn. My husband adamantly told me, “No projects!” this Christmas because last year got a little tense. haha

Anyways, the coat turned out great! I like that choice of lining. A little secret something fun.

1 Like

Wow, fantastic job. Sewing coats is a real challenge and you did a fantastic job

1 Like

Wow that is beautiful!! Great job!

1 Like

So good that she loved it, I will be so sad if my son suddenly hates mom made stuff, but I’m certain that will pass once the kids grow up.
The lining is amazing, none of her friends will ever have anything as special as that, so glad that she loves the coat.

Good luck making your own patterns!

1 Like

This is ALL the style at our school right now. She was ahead of her time. :heart: