Luna Moth Shrinky Dink necklace

I’ve been on a shrinky dink roll. After making this bee shrinky dink necklace, I ordered 50 sheets of clear shrinky dink. Mainly because I knew I wanted to make Luna Moth inspired necklace.

I love my bee necklace more but this one is fun too.

I know Luna Moth’s don’t have spots but I liked the technique. I used alcohol ink diluted in alcohol to tint the shrinky dink and a Q-tip dipped in the ink to add dots.

I traced the top half and bottom half of the moth.

Then I cut them out and added details with sharpie. I punched a hole at the top and the tip of the wings.

Then it was time for the oven. I glued them together using E6000 glue and added the chain.

He found a buddy.

Now I have to figure out what to make next. Hmm…

15 Likes

What a cool technique on the wings! Every time I see cool stuff made from Shrinky Dink plastic, it makes me want to try it… Your moth looks amazing!

3 Likes

Thank you!! I forgot about shrinky dink for a long time. It’s a lot fun and right now is easy enough for me to drum up the motivation I need to sit down and craft. :heart:

Coolest thing I’ve ever seen done with shrink plastic!

1 Like

So pretty. I love the alcohol inks technique.

1 Like

Beautiful! How do you get the colour to stay on the plastic? I’ve never had luck with that.

1 Like

Thanks for showing your process…it is giving me the confidence to try this on the zillion sheets I have in my stash!

I think I will start with something simpler, but you sure have given me a few great ideas with your beautiful projects!!!

2 Likes

I think the alcohol inks give her such texture! Great artistic choice!

2 Likes

This is so cool!!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hmm…really? What were you using on it? I have some old shrink plastic ornaments the kid and I made years ago and the sharpie is still going strong. I wonder if there is some type of spray that wouldn’t cause the ink to run that would provide extra protection? Hmm…may need to experiment.

I’ve used all sorts of things, sharpies, coloured pencil, stamps. I’ve tried some sealing spray but it’s always been a mess. I’ll try again. Your projects look amazing, totally worth the effort to figure out what I’ve been doing wrong.

2 Likes

Gorgeous! I love the dabbing technique - the texture you achieved is awesome!

1 Like

Well dang it. That would be frustrating. I did read that if you try to use clear coat to do several rounds of “dry” spray. So in other words, lightly dust it with the spray, let dry, and repeat a thousand times. I’m going to test the method.

I love the fact that you wanted to make “a necklace” so you ordered fifty sheets! :laughing:

4 Likes

That’s lovely! The technique you used to color the wings came out gorgeous!

2 Likes

So in love with this. Just beautiful!

2 Likes

Wow! This is breathtaking!

1 Like

Haha! I didn’t even blink an eye when I wrote that.

Thanks everyone! I’m itching to make more insect inspired jewelry. There are really pretty beetles out there. :heart:

Congrats! Your Luna Moth Shrinky Dink Necklace is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: woohoo!