Mailbag Bag

Finally tackled a project I’ve been contemplating for years! :-). This is an old mail bag, bought at a thrift store. The nylon is VERY thin and VERY prone to raveling. So, it was a lot of trial and error; but, so far it’s holding up :slight_smile: Tim Holtz fabric, hardware and buttons from stash. The whole reason I bought the bag and wanted to make a purse was the egg girl pin. I bought one on a once in a lifetime trip, and lost it when it fell off another bag. So, needed a clear pocket (and an eBay replacement for the pin)! This is working splendidly.

29 Likes

Cool project!

Did you try heat sealing the edges of the nylon to stop fraying? Run them over a candle flame until they melt and shrivel a bit. Test first!

1 Like

This is beyond awesome…love it!!!

1 Like

How fabulous! Where was your once in a lifetime trip to?

1 Like

Very cool! The Tim holtz fabric is perfect for this! It really turned out great!

1 Like

Japan. The pin came from the Studio Ghibli museum - a magical place. This was my grandson’s HS grad present. I let him pick any destination. He was a big Anime fan and chose Japan. I found an anime specific tour. I had zero interest in Anime, and still loved every minute of the trip. An incredible place. Highly recommended!!

3 Likes

So great!! I love mail themed things :hugs:

1 Like

THIS IS AMAZING! I love that it’s a real mail bag, that you utilized the TIm Holtz fabric so well, and that your problem solved your pin issue! YEY!

I have also used heat on nylon, cutting out a pattern using a stencil cutter/wood burning tool. Works great, smells… not great. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

What a wonderful trip!

1 Like

This is WAY cool! So awesome!

1 Like

It turned out super cool! The fabric looks perfect in there.

2 Likes

:rainbow: Well, lookie here! Your awesome craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :fire:

1 Like

That bag is absolutely fantastic. Gorgeous!

1 Like

I love this! Well done, what a smashing success.

1 Like

very cool! and i had to look up what ‘franked mail’ meant. i learned a thing!

2 Likes

This is so funky and lovely–great ideas, color, and finished item. It makes me want to reach through the screen and touch it, love the textures.

1 Like

That’s a super cute bag, nice work!

1 Like