Maple Walnut Bread Pudding

Since moving to Vermont, I’ve found myself baking more. I’d like to say it’s because rural life has meant I’ve slowed down a bit (and there’d be some truth in that) but most of it is that we have so many eggs. The kid has 7 laying hens and we are drowning in eggs.

I make this bread pudding when we have stale bread (ahem, nobody eats the heels), or Phil made too many biscuits, or in the case of the most recent time, Phil tried to make brioche but overcooked it.

I tend to make small batches because I’m just using up left over, stale bread and we don’t typically have large quantities of stale bread.

Recipe:

• Roughly 1-1.5 cups of bread cubes
  • 1 cup of whole milk (or 1/2 milk & 1/2 cream if I have it)
  • 2 large eggs or 3 Silkie eggs
  • splash of vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup of chopped toasted walnuts
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 TBSP of brown sugar
  • pinch of salt

Oven set to 350 degrees. I toast the walnuts while I whip the eggs and milk together, throw in the maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.

The bread I tear or chop up depending on how stale it is. Pull the walnuts, let them cool, and then add the bread chunks/cubes and the walnuts to a small Pyrex container (7.5 x 5.5, 3 cup capacity). Pour the egg/milk mixture over it all and let it soak for 10 min. Pop in the oven for 45 min, remove, let cool and enjoy. The kid likes to put whipped cream on it.

This bread pudding was brought to you courtesy of Fried Rice and Georgie.

13 Likes

that sounds yummy. and Fried Rice is a hilarious name.

1 Like

Bread pudding is an excellent use of stale breads! Yours looks so rich with the walnuts!

I use a similar recipes, only I add a whiskey butter sauce…mmmm

1 Like

Oooo, this sounds yummy!

1 Like

Mmmm…you had me at maple walnut, but really hooked me with Fried Rice’s eggs! :laughing:

2 Likes

Looks delicious!

1 Like

@AIMR yum….whiskey butter sauce.

Fried Rice is the kid’s favorite chicken. She is ridiculously cute and fluffy and squeaky.

I cannot remember how she got her name though. Heh.

1 Like

LOL, I love the names too.
I think I’ll sit and play with them while I eat this yummy pudding.
(I’ve got extra insulin, lol)

1 Like