Mask-Along

Yay! Please do! :smiley:

Welcome to Lettuce Craft @wryly!

I am still using jewelry wire for my nose pieces, it works for me. I think when I run out I will try the more professional ones. Mr. Road still prefers the coffee ties I used a couple times and I think the metal guards will be similar to that.

Actually, I was interested in the “kid” version you shared on zoom, @AIMR. The nose wire still gives me anxiety when sewing, lol, so the fewer bumps and curves, the better. Though I hope you will share your channels with us!

We just got power back last night after the tropical storm blew through, so I will probably fire up the sewing machine this weekend!

2 Likes

I’ll send you some of both…I ordered 100 of each by mistake and will not be making that many more masks!

5 Likes

@AIMR, you’re amazing. Just in case you hadn’t been told that yet today. :heart:

1 Like

Haha. Truth!

@EriChanHime, thank you for the info! I just went and ordered 20 of the curved ones to try out on a few new masks for my husband and I. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I hope they work well for you. :two_hearts: Everyone I’ve given them to says what a difference they make. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I’ve been using a thick gauge jewelry wire in my previous masks, but it does get a bit scrunched up in washing, so I have to straighten the wire each time I wash it, so I’m interested in comparing them.

1 Like

I made a couple more for Mr. Road (he’s so spoiled) yesterday. We tried Magpies pattern with coffee ties instead of wire for the nose piece.

I have six more in the works!

6 Likes

I lied…5 more were in the works lol…done now!

6 Likes

I really like the fabric on the bottom right of the picture!

2 Likes

I love all the wonderful masks and fabrics. It’s somgood to make something so needed.

I’m making masks again and I am doing a bunch of kids masks using left ober layer cake squares from baby quilt projects.

7 Likes

It’s great, right? Courtesy of @MistressJennie!

1 Like

I agree about @Abbeeroad’s fabric (from @MistressJennie even! Love the crafty sharing!), and @marionberries, your colorful kids’ fabrics are so cute!!

Here are the masks I’ve made since last post (I say “I,” but it’s totally me and mom together)! As usual I’m posting a day’s worth at a time.

This one got its own post, but I figured I’d share it here too:

You may notice we’re making more kids’ sized ones!

Also, here are some pictures from another Gish item I did this week.
It was for Item #116: The members of our community experiencing homelessness are struggling the hardest with lack of access to disinfectants, hand sanitizers, and masks. Set up a physically-distanced donation station in an appropriate area with cloth masks and hand sanitizer, soap, bottled water, pre-wrapped snacks or other survival needs in ziplock bags clipped to a fence or other location. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do this, take the utmost care so you do not transmit the virus in case you’re an asymptomatic carrier: Only handle items with gloved hands and only while wearing a mask yourself, and stay away from others.

We gave away six homemade masks downtown. I think it was my first time into town since March! Just popped in, set up the masks, and skedaddled home!

Mom and I are currently sorting and packaging masks for a few more friends, an animal shelter that a friend volunteers with, and the local food back again.

8 Likes

You guys continue to be amazing! And did I mention how much I LOVE the beat COVID mask? The little virus inside the :no_entry_sign: is so perfect!

3 Likes

I thought this was an interesting article:

My masks are currently 2 cotton layers. Maybe I should be adding a third…:thinking:

2 Likes

I use interfacing as my third layer…I attach it to the outer fabric…they say fuse on is bad because of the glue, but then I read that the glue eventually wears off in the wash so it is held only by the seams…magpie said not to use it on the lining side because you want that side to move freely so you can breathe….edited: I have this backwards…use it on the lining side!

I think bandannas are the worst because of the space underneath not being close to the face…neck gaiters are not good because I see lots of people pulling them up and down, touching their faces and the gaiter as well…

2 Likes

I feel like it is all a balance between comfort/breathe-ability and being effective.

And I agree…I think a good fit goes a long way as well!

4 Likes

Guys, I am four days into in-building school and the ill fitting masks are driving me bonkers. I watch kids readjust the same mask ever 2 minutes and I just want to take it home and fix it for them! Then I realize I don’t really want them to give me the germ-filled thing. I may just bring my sewing machine to school and ask them to bring CLEAN masks in for me to fix. I might go crazy if I don’t. :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

LOL! Good luck!

Watching my son and his friends with their masks on and my kid is the only one who wears it right and continuously…school will be interesting for sure. I want to make masks for all the kids in his class but I would never do anything else!

2 Likes

That Duke study had very small sample sizes and the focus of the study was actually to show that researchers created a very simple, cheap device to measure mask effectiveness. The goal of the publication was to give other researchers instructions for creating the same device. With that said, it does show that the 2-layer cotton masks that most of us are making have good results. More studies with bigger sample sizes need to be done, but this data is still encouraging. I was so excited when I saw this article! We are reading it in my AP Biology class tomorrow. :slight_smile:

4 Likes