Masking Pen Christmas Cards

In one of the art zooms we had in 2022, I learned about a technique using a liquid masking pen. I bought the pens but totally forgot about them.

When I joined this year’s holiday card swap, I knew I wanted to try them out. Basically, what you do is draw a design on some card stock and let it dry. Paint or color over it, let dry and then rub away the masking fluid. That simple! I used water colors.

Added some holiday sentiment with a gold paint pen, cut around the designs and glue them on card stock. I have yet to find a glue that doesn’t buckle on me, but maybe because I am impatient and don’t leave them under heavy books long enough!

Anyway, I cut card stock for the inside and attached it with butcher’s twine. I made 12 cards, 3 of each design.

This is really fun, so I hope I think of other designs I can use for other occasions!

For anyone interested, this is the pen I used.

19 Likes

I was wondering how you managed to achieve such precise negative space… this is so cool!

1 Like

One does have to be more patient than I am…everything must be dry so the wait time tests me…but, I do see a lot of potential for more intricate designs…I got the fatter point, but apparently their are lots of sizes!

1 Like

That’s a really great idea and they look fab

2 Likes

I have one of those pens and I forget about it. It’s probably dried up by now.

Love the cards.

2 Likes

Try it! I thought mine was dried up as well! I must have gotten the year wrong because according to Amazon, I purchased them in June 2022!

1 Like

What a cool technique! These are so festive.

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Very cool! I remember someone on here mentioned those pens, and I thought, “Oh, I should get one of those,” but never did. Now I wish I had! Your cards look great!

3 Likes

Lovely cards-- masking fluid is definitely on my long-list of things to play with, but maybe I should move it up… :grin:

2 Likes

what a cool technique!
another art product to add to my wishlist, LOL
your cards are wonderful :heart:

3 Likes

This is a cool technique, and your cards are festive and fun :slight_smile:
I might try this with my kid, we enjoy crafting together, when we can find time and enough room on the table.

2 Likes

Love the effect you got! Definitely have to try. Thanks for sharing the pen link!

3 Likes

So cool! I especially love that snowflake. The waiting for it to dry would have driven me bonkers too.

2 Likes

:snowflake: Congratulations! Your project is snow good, it’s featured this week! :snowflake:

1 Like

Yes! It’s a new simple technique that I can use for card making! Thank you for the link to the pen. Your cards look marvelous. I like the extra sparkle around the snowflake.
Y’know… there is the galentine’s swap coming up and it involves caaaaaards…! I think maybe you already signed up for it :laughing:

3 Likes

These really turned out great!

And thanks for the heads up on the pen… somehow it seems to have made its way into my wish list…. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Hey, I think it jumped into mine as well. Funny how that happens sometimes.

2 Likes

These look fantastic!! The one I received looks even better in real life too, so pretty :sparkling_heart:

1 Like