Masks for Jim

My stepdad, Jim, recently passed away. He was in the hospital for treatment for lymphoma, and contracted the virus. My sister, sister-in-law, and I flew down to FL to be with my mom. When we decided to make masks, we wanted pre-washed fabrics, and my SIL realized that Jim’s shirts would be ideal.

We made 10 using a pattern my SIL had used before, and I tried out @Magpie’s pattern. My mom has cut up several more shirts to make more, because a bunch of Jim’s friends and family said they’d love to have one.

This is the one I made using @Magpie’s pattern. My mom has claimed it because she loves the way it fits.

17 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss @craftADDchick! :broken_heart: but this is a great way to repurpose his old shirts into something to fight the virus & protect his loved ones.

1 Like

I love you are using his shirts, that’s the sweetest memory of him :blue_heart:

1 Like

My condolences.
But I love your idea of repurposing Jim’s shirts.

1 Like

that really sucks but I love the reuse of Jim’s shirts

1 Like

Thank you! My sister was a little weirded out by it, at first, but realized it was a great way to turn a negative into a positive. As she put it, “He’s more than just a number (statistic)!” And, we were surprised by how many people asked to have one to remember him by. So, it’s helping us to heal in more ways than one. :heart:

4 Likes

Reading this is the first time I’ve cried about anything that’s been going on. Somehow these masks make it hit home in a different way. All the people who wear these masks know how special a person was lost unnecessarily and they get to pay tribute. It brings personal meaning and ongoing remembrance to (what has become) an everyday object, and you did a lovely job amidst a painful situation.

4 Likes

And, now, I’m crying :heart:

3 Likes

So sorry for your loss! :broken_heart: I’m glad that you found a positive way to remember him.

1 Like

Ah, man. I’m not chopping onions, You’re chopping onions! :cry:

2 Likes

so sorry for your loss but what an amazing way to remember him! these look great!

1 Like

What a sweet thing to create these from his old shirts. I’m sure they’ll be well appreciated!

1 Like

I’m sending you and your family all my good thoughts. The masks of his shirts are a wonderful tribute.

1 Like