May 30, 2020 - Testing New Homepage Layout

Currently testing a new homepage layout.

Rather than the categories being arranged alphabetically, they are now listed in order of activity.

Please let me know what you think! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@kittykill @racky

I’m not sure…
I think I liked the old following order better.
But that’s just one opinion.

2 Likes

Does that mean the front page will always be subject to change, depending on what the most popular topic is? I could live with that, but I would prefer the topics are always in the same order. I do think that non-crafty topics like the Lounge should not be at the top. To me, that takes away from the craft posts, the #1 focus of the site.

3 Likes

I agree. I think it’s a little confusing and disjointed to have the crafts separated from each other. Although, I mostly just peruse the site using the “hamburger menu” and clicking “unread” or “new” topics anyway, which may be why I haven’t recognized yet which cute avatar belong to which category.

2 Likes

It’s not fair that the popular topics get all the attention. Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

Maybe the least popular should go on top, so they attract views.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I’m a fan of it. I like that it was in alpha order. It made it easier for my brain. LOL!

2 Likes

I prefer alphabetical or some other non-changing order for the categories. Easier on my brain, and like a website’s homepage is an easy reference/return point after browsing different pages of the site. To have the layout change so frequently would be disorienting. Also, there are already many areas of the site sorted by most recently updated or posted (including the Latest column on the home page) for those who prefer to explore things that way.

2 Likes

I agree with all the above. For people brand-new to the site, and viewing it in mobile view, it would be especially confusing if the first heading they saw was “Heads of Lettuce”. :laughing:
Keeping the main category view a stable alphabetical order conserves a method of structure and findability in an otherwise low-structure environment.

3 Likes

Yup, I also agree with above comments! Crafts at the top and a stable order are my preference. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I agree with the above commenters too, I prefer alphabetical. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with racky. I don’t like it changing based on what was responded to most recently. If we have a set of categories, I feel like they should stay in the same order all the time, and that the craft ones should be at the top, and Lounge stuff at the bottom.

3 Likes

I agree as well. It’s easier to navigate the main page when you know where all the boards are and in what order they’re arranged.

3 Likes

Thank you, all so so much!

I had gotten some feedback that Art would always get the most love since it was at the top (starting with A), so thought I’d test it out to see what the masses thought. raised_hands:

Also, there was some discussion of possibly renaming Fashion to Wearables. If implement that, it will go down to the bottom of the list. Just food for thought.

I appreciate all of the input!

1 Like

I’d love to see Fashion renamed to wearables!

1 Like

I feel like having all the crafting categories at the top worked best… Non-alphabetical order doesn’t bother me, but the constantly changing thing does.

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your input! I’ve switched the homepage back to its previous view (alphabetical).

3 Likes

Thank you! My brain can’t handle change right now. LOL!

1 Like