Mayocoba Sweet Bean Paste

Alright! It is made. Now to wait for it to chil, and I’ll try to get to the buns tomorrow.

what I’ll attempt to do is make an oat milk bread. Yeah, I won’t cut out as much gluten as I’d like, but I’ll try to make them fairly thin as I stuff them with the paste. Also, I won’t steam them, as all this work is going to be enough of a hassle, heh.

I’ll use my metal cake pan that has a metal lid to trap as much moisture in…side…as…possible? hold the phone, I bet I could put one of my Pyrex bowls in the middle to aid in partially steaming them. Huh! I’ll give that a try.

Turns out it didn’t want the water to separate. So I had to cook it over some heat for way too long for my spine. O_o.

While straining the beans, I guess they partially started to sprout while soaking in the fridge over night, :no_mouth:, meh, I got to freak out my wife by saying there were worms in it, heh heh heh.

Now for this batch I made the stupid decision to shuck the skins off the beans by hand. Not doing that again, heh. I’ll do that while working it through a strainer.

Now to take a little break, and I’ll update this with the buns once I get to it.

Recipe

half a package of mayocoba beans cooked til softened.
3/4 c. Sugar

Force the beans through a sieve to remove the large bits (skins, etc). Then either wait for the liquid to separate and pour off the excess water, or cook over medium heat to reduce as much liquid as you’re willing to stand there, :grin: .

Mix in the sugar and continue cooking, stirring constantly until the mass forms peaks. Stir vigorously to ensure the sugar doesn’t crystalize.

it is best to use a rounded pan, or a skillet larger than the burner so the sides don’t get too hot.

(mental note to self: Find that video I used to learn this when I go back downstairs).

3 Likes

Hmmm… sounds interesting! I’ve never really eaten anything like that. It sounds interesting!

…Although I guess I do eat bean dip. Is that similar in consistency, etc? Oh! I’ve also had some Japanese foods that have a sweet bean paste. Maybe that is more like this?

It does sound a bit like azuki red bean paste. Just beans and sugar.

I think I would like this…covered in a dough, just like mochi…very similar!

Sounds yummy to me!

1 Like

Alright, here’s the video that gave me the idea to attempt other types of beans.

Here’s the video that gave me the misguided idea to shuck all the beans…Shudder

I had eaten…scratch that, scarfed these fried balls covered in sesame seed, and had always wondered what they were made of…Turns out, it’s a sweet bean. I never would have guessed that, heh.

I’d really like to make steamed buns, but I don’t really have a steamer that’s good for that (made some a few years back with pumpkin pie filling…Oooooh, so good). So I’ll just use my cake pan that has a lid. Maybe I can keep enough moisture inside to make them steamed like…:crossed_fingers: .

2 Likes

I want to try this, just without the work of making it, lol. It does sound like an interesting and unique flavor. Shucking all those beans looks like it would have been very time consuming!

How do the steamed buns play into this? Do you use the bean paste to make the buns? Do you fill the buns with the paste?

Fill them. Here’s a vid of Emmymade making bao (which is pretty much the same process…as I have no idea where the vids are that I found years ago, :no_mouth:). https://youtu.be/7AsNOos85cY

1 Like

Yum! I’m imagining bean paste filled bao buns and I imagine them to be pretty tasty!

The rolls are made, and the partial steaming worked like a charm, and by Zeus’ dirty toga, they are quite good.

3 Likes

Adding the recipe for these.

Sweet Gorditas:

4 c. Masa corn flour
3/4 c. Sugar
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 c. Warm water
4 Tbls. Melted butter
13.5 oz. Can of A Taste of Thai Coconut Milk

Rhubarb, Blueberry, and Mayocoba Sweet Bean Paste:

8 oz. Mayocoba beans cooked til tender, with skins removed.

Mash and fry in a skillet with 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup chopped rhubarb, 1/4 cup blueberries, and one tablespoon of butter. Cook til very thick stirring constantly to keep the sugar from crystalizing.

Chill for about 2 hours, and on the second hour, start making the gorditas.

Sift the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients slowly starting with one cup of warm water and the can of coconut milk. Slowly add the rest of the water til the dough is smooth. Knead til smooth, then cover and let rest for about 45 minutes.

Make your gorditas, and butter the pan then fry for about 5 minutes on each side.

A lot more sugar than I’d like, but the sugar does bring out the flavor quite well.

2 Likes