Mea's Civil War Costume - Halloween Costume Entry 2021

Beautifully done! Be sure to enter it in the Halloween Costume Challenge !

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment but I thought I already had entered it into the Halloween contest. That’s why it’s tagged the way it is. Did I do something wrong?

1 Like

That looks amazing, wow. What a lot of meticulous research & construction. Nice work!

1 Like

It can take a lot of research but that’s half the fun of figuring out what to make for a historically accurate outfit. :smiley:

1 Like

Amazing work!! I can’t believe you drafted the patterns yourself.

I think you have to link this post to the contest post as well as add the entry info to your title to officially enter the Halloween costume contest. Good luck!!

2 Likes

Ahh. Yes and no. I was reading the post on my phone, (after my dog woke me at 4:45) so I didn’t see the whole title, which you totally did perfectly. Then I checked the Costume Challenge thread, and didn’t see a post from you, submitting it, which is required, so I was afraid you didn’t know about the contest. Be sure to post a link to your project post in the Halloween Costume Challenge thread. I’ve already added you to the list of submissions there. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Oh, thank you! I appreciate you doing that for me. I have chronic illnesses, and the underlying cognitive disfunction that accompanies it (aka Brain Fog) so sometimes I don’t get things right.

2 Likes

No worries friend. I was also sleepy, and since I’m running the Challenge, I am always on the lookout for folks who might not have seen it, and therefore have missed entering the contest. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you. The difficulty with using historical patterns is most people sewed their own clothing back then so knew what they were doing. Women’s magazines, Godey’s for example, gave pictures of the pieces to cut (if you were lucky) but not give you instructions on how to put it together. So you have to take those pictures, draft them to fit your own body by adding darts, gores, gussets, or other things to make them look how you want them to. Basically, each time you draft something like this, you have to make a muslin mock-up – which then becomes your pattern.

4 Likes

This is stunning.

1 Like

Whoa! This is amazing.

2 Likes

It’s stunning! I’ve never seen anything like that apron. I’m assuming that’s a period style too? I love the details on the sleeves as well.

1 Like

Holy moley! Amazing work!

1 Like

Love this costume! What a labor of love!

1 Like

Thank you very much - it’s a favorite addition of mine.

It is period, is called The Cialdini Apron, and is based on the one I found here:
Godey’s magazine. v.64 1862 Jan-Jun.

(The link seems to keep changing - the apron is #399.)

2 Likes

Here’s what I had to make the paletot. In the link, scroll down 1 page.

Yup, that’s all they gave - 3 pattern pieces.

I had to add a panel to the back, add breast darts the front panels, cut the armscyes larger too. Then I had to rip out the dratted sleevils 4 times to get them, and the armscye caps, to sit correctly! GRRRR! lol “-Original- Pre 1929 Historical Pattern Collection

Paletot Galilee- Peterson

4 Likes

This is amazing! I’m speechless- just in awe of what you accomplished here! :astonished:

And your scandalous pantaloon shot… you saucy minx!

2 Likes

LOL!
I showed off my undergarments because I seem to always get asked two questions: What do you wear underneath and is it hot.

Answers: What I wear underneath depends upon the era of the costume and, no, it’s normally not hot - it depends upon the humidity not the heat (Note: I made the bloomers too).

2 Likes

Of course you did!! :blush::heart: Nothing like those little touches to add authenticity!

2 Likes

Very impressive! It looks great!

2 Likes