Memory Pillows with a Kick!

My kids and I were very active in martial arts for about 10 years. Loved every minute of it! When my knees finally had enough of that shenanigans, I decided I wanted to do something with my uniform aka do bok, so I turned it into my first memory pillow.

Last week, one of the girls who was on the demo team with me asked if I could make one for her from her uniform. I watched this young lady go from a gangly pre-teen to a tall, willowy pre-med student who is on her school’s basketball team. I was over the moon when she asked me to make her a pillow. Here’s how her’s turned out today.

All of the badges and stripes required years of focus to obtain and mean the world to us. I’m delivering her pillow tomorrow. I hope she likes it! :smiley:

26 Likes

How could she not love it? What a great way to remember a significant chapter in her life. And you did a splendid job with the placement of everything, and the stitching. Love it!

1 Like

Thank you! :grin:

1 Like

What a great way to bring your old do bok out of the closet and into your everyday life! It’s ever so cool that your former teammate asked you to do the same for her. They both turned out great!~

1 Like

So cool! Way better than leaving it hanging in the back of a closet somewhere.

1 Like

These are awesome!! You translated the uniform into a practical object so well!

1 Like

Both my husband and myself studied Tae Kwon Do for years. I love these so much. My belts and uniform are in storage somewhere. This is such a great idea for when I find them. You did a great job. I would love for you to share her reaction.

1 Like

I’ll see what I can do about getting her reaction. :smile:

1 Like

:star_struck: :boom: This awesome project is featured this week! :boom: :star_struck:

3 Likes

These are super cool looking! I love the way you are displaying such special badges too. Very, very cool.

2 Likes

What a wonderful idea! This is such a great way to display the hard earned uniform and patches. You did a really nice job on these!

Good use to connect memories with touch. It’s a different way to process.
I have a pillow made from my grandpa’s flannel shirt that has a shoulder from his overalls and a bandanna hanging from the pocket–back when they were used as hankies. The farm ladies back in his hometown made them from his clothes for the whole family. It is very much cherished.

1 Like

What a beautiful and creative way to keep your uniform from sitting in a closet collecting dust!

1 Like

Those are amazing!

1 Like