Mend and maintain for a sustainable 2020

How cool is this?!! I may need one of those quilt top hoodies.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing! I have a lot of orphan squares…I am not sure I could actually cut into a quilt…but maybe put together something from the squares!

2 Likes

This would be a great way to utilize a damaged quilt, if you could work around the damage and didn’t want to repair it.

2 Likes

Not much of a sewist, but last night I did close up a hole in the sleeve of my beloved Brees(ish)-era* Purdue Football hoodie. The shirt is so worn that patching it may have been largely futile, but I’m not giving this sweatshirt up until the washing machine eats it.

*It’s probably actually from the Orton era – I forget precisely when I bought it – but until that’s definitively proven I’m sticking with Brees.

10 Likes

I did some mending today! Boring stuff like underwear elastic waistbands.

We have a flannel duvet cover set and we were missing one pillowcase. I wanted a warm flannel one and not a plain cotton one from another set so I found a leftover bit of flannel and quickly sewed up a pillowcase:

The duvet cover is white so while it doesn’t match, it won’t look awful together, it adds a bit of colour.

9 Likes

I love it!

My silly jeans have yet another worn out spot on the same thigh another inch or so down from the previous 2. I’m not sure if we’re adversaries or if they are happy I keep mending them but I’m not throwing in the towel yet! They are baggy and comfortable and i can where long johns under them so they need to at least survive through the winter!

3 Likes

The reindeer are so cute! Flannel pillowcases are so nice this time of year.

I bought supplies for mending denim. After Christmas crafting is done, I’m going to try and repair some of DH’s jeans. He’s got one pair - he’s just been wearing them for chores/dirty jobs - that needs a knee and both cuffs fixed, and the seat reinforced. And that means I’ll get a lot of practice. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My favourite wool jacket needs another patch. I’ve worn through a spot so I’ll needlefelt a reinforcement. My other mends on the garment were holes, probably from getting caught or the thread snapping in the knit fabric, this is pure wear. I think I’ll consider trying to get another one from the same designer since I’ve pretty much lived in it for years. It’s kind of expensive, because small designer/seamstress, but clearly good value.

5 Likes

My old leather hiking boots have developed a split over the little toe on one foot. They haven’t been water proof in years, but I can wear these things all day and my feet like it. I have waterproof boots for wet weather, but they are hot in the summer.

I can’t patch them, but I am hoping the little grumpy shoe guy can. Hope he’s open or at least still in business.

4 Likes

A good pair of shoes is a gift! I still have my Frye boots from college…repaired many times by a rare commodity these days…a shoe repair person! I hope you get yours repaired…

2 Likes

I spent almost 4 hours yesterday replacing the zipper in my DH’s coat. It had one of those fancy, waterproof coil zippers in it, but it must’ve gotten a bit bent out of shape because it no longer wanted to close when zipped past a certain point. I replaced it with a heavy-duty plastic zipper. I did have to stitch the facing back, close to the zipper, to keep it from getting caught. Seems to work okay now.

9 Likes

More power to you…I hate zipper repairs…it is almost like you have to remake the entire front of the coat! But, worth saving for your time and the cost of the zipper…looks very good!

4 Likes

Wow! Great save!

3 Likes

Thanks! The jacket was only a few years old, still in good condition otherwise, and not cheap. I’m not even sure if the repair place I used to go to is still in business after the year we’ve had.

4 Likes

This was a good motivator to look at things as repairable rather than all used up. Will we do it again this year?

2 Likes

Yes, please?

2 Likes

Agreed, i’m down for that partayyyy

2 Likes

Plenty to mend in 2021 for sure!!

Husband’s favorite t-shirt
New elastic in maroon skirt
small open seam in comforter
and many more!

I am going to fix it or let it go this year…I have a wash basket and there is a reason the stuff is still in there…I have to determine what that is and do something!

3 Likes

I’ll get a new thread started this weekend!

5 Likes

Well, it is a weekend… Here is the new link for the new year:

5 Likes