Mend and maintain for a sustainable 2020

I do mend and repair a lot of things, but it is my very least favorite thing to do. And with four kids, there is always something that needs fixed! I have had some creative fixes for patching jeans, lengthening pants, or hiding stains in the past. I know I can do it. Maybe I will feel less grumpy about it hanging out here and feeling the positivity. Currently, I have several wool socks (of mine) that need darned and I accidentally shut my wool cloak in the car door a few weeks back and made a puncture. I love my cloak, so I’d better fix that before it turns into something worse. Can’t remember who said it up there, but it’s a good plan to keep the mending pile within easy reach! That might motivate me a little more.

Also, I think I’d better teach my kids how to sew on their own stupid buttons so that I’m not left with all of the mending tasks. My second daughter is actually pretty good about attempting to repair her own things.

5 Likes

Wow I just remembered that I have this device (a different brand) and I never realized how it could be used! I will try it on my chipped plates and report back.

And good mend @Riechan! I wouldn’t have guessed that there was a hole!

1 Like

I bought some cool stuff that was like clay on Grommet…it worked great to repair split handles on pots and even repaired a knife handle…but for the life of me, I can’t remember the name. They sent samples and you could buy a small pack in all different colors…so many cool products are available to us all so repairs can be easier…

As a matter of fact, there is a button hole kit that requires no sewing…it works almost like a stapler…as long as it is repaired, does it matter if it is sew on or not?

As a kid, I repaired a lot of my own things with an actual stapler, masking tape, glue and string…we did not have tons of money so things got repaired a lot…

2 Likes

Thanks, will look into that! Another option is to maybe make the split a little bit higher but I’m not sure if that’s possible without revealing too much.

My mum has that button stapler thing that I’ve used for coat buttons but there’s a little metal thingy on the back of the fabric (like a jeans button) so that may not be comfortable for all clothes.

I learned to mend quite young too as my mum didn’t always have time for it. My grandma visited our place all day every Sunday and she had health issues so she just sat in her chair all day and knitted/darned for us and showed me everything. She passed when I was 12 and that’s when it became mostly my job. I never minded doing it, I still don’t.

5 Likes

@SewJill Hey you… this is the post I told you about. :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds like sugru.

1 Like

YES!!! That’s what it was…

6 Likes

I know. Because I’m pretty sure I backed a Kickstarter & I love that stuff, there’s still a great knife in the drawer with a customized grip.

1 Like

Yes, it was a Kickstarter product…I was so excited about it and used it to repair all my broken handles.

1 Like

I absolutely love vintage clothes. Sometimes they have to be mended or restructured. I’ve had this 50’s sweater forever. It started getting holes. I also had a pair of fingerless gloves that I got in a swap. I loved those gloves but they wore out. I kept seeing this idea on Pinterest so I took the remaining glove, made little hearts and covered/repaired the holes.

I will have to take an action shot. I plan on wearing it tomorrow.

13 Likes

Practically every really cool or life-shifting practice, product or source of entertainment in my life has come from you all’s comments in discussion boards…I think this is another such case!

2 Likes

My mom had that exact sweater…what a wonderful way to save it…a few tiny holes repaired with another favorite item…what a great save!

You have given both new life!

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you @artsycandice!

5 Likes

Tomorrow is Saturday so I’ll be mending again. Darning another hiking sock and fixing my skirt that I mentioned earlier. And whatever else I notice while putting away the laundry.

2 Likes

For the january challenge
Mend instead of buying new

I have this pair of trousers that had a small rip once. I fixed it with iron on interfacing and stitches but some day in the washing machine it ripped open again and this time it was big and visible. Most people would have thrown it away at this point. I came up with something better as I knew a bit of iron on interfacing wasn’t going to cut it this time. Instead of interfacing I used a large patch from heavy jeans fabric (from an old pair that came from my grandma’s stash, probably once from grandpa’s work clothes). It’s visible on the outside but it’s a high wasted pair that I usually don’t wear with anything tucked in, so it’s covered up by my shirt/sweater.

3 Likes

We’re really big into repairing instead of replacing anything we can in our home, including using a cobbler to resole the very few shoes they can do that with. Definitely going to hop on this and share when I’ve mended something!

Question for more people more seasoned with mending clothes; is there any way to repair leggings once they start to get holes in the inner thigh or should I plan to cut them up and use the awesome print in other projects?

2 Likes

I think there are a lot of things to consider when deciding if something should be repaired. For me, it is the value of my time as well. For others, it might be availability, cost, or sentiment. I am more willing to repair something I absolutely love and can’t be replaced easily.

Leggings…I have quite a few that are wearing on the inner thigh (chubby legs of mine!)…I have seen ready wear that have gussets of black or other fabric on both the inner and outer thigh. I would do that for my favorite prints. For black, I am going to go get a new pair.

4 Likes

I think part of mending for sustainability includes reuse. Nylon stockings or tights work great for tying up tomato vines in the garden. I can find a handy use for lots of old textiles. Not all but many! Some things are just trash after they wear out though, there’s no avoiding it.

4 Likes

oh yes…I agree…so much waste and disregard for things and what their disposal means to our world…totally agree…

ha ha I remember your HUGE bin of fleece and sweater scraps…I am sure very little go into your trash unless there is nothing left to do…

3 Likes

I think you’re on to something there. It has to feel worth it somehow. I know I’ve seen a post along those lines on the swedish instagram account Lagningsaktivisterna. (It’s worth to follow #lagningsaktivisterna on instagram just for inspirational pictures I think)

Anyhow… she talked about what makes people mend, or not mend after reading this article:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959652618304116

If we enjoy the item, it’s well made, and we use it often we’re more likely to maintain it. If it’s seldom used, doesn’t work well or something that’s easy to replace we’re more likely to just throw it out and buy a new one.

3 Likes