Mend and maintain for a sustainable 2020

:crossed_fingers:Iā€™ve been after one too.

DS1 uses this cat keyring for his locker key. The cord between the cat and the chain snapped, so I replaced it with a bit of ribbon. I expect to be replacing it again soon! I gave lots of bits of ribbon like this, in a variety of colours, so the isnā€™t a problem :smiley_cat::smiley_cat: he wanted a bow too!

5 Likes

Nice mending jobs, everyone! Seems like we all repaired at least one thing instead of getting new or throwing outā€¦it is a start!

@Annchen I am also bad at tiny holes in socks and just tossing them outā€¦I am going to make a better effort at fixing these tiny holes when the rest of the sock is still goodā€¦how fun to have a pair of white socks with lots of purposeful mends.

@GMPNQ awwwā€¦your kids will grow up respecting their things and taking care of them! If ribbon doesnā€™t hold for your son, maybe braided embroidery thread? I have been using bits of that to make zipper pulls and it seems pretty strong.

4 Likes

I got a blouse at the thrift store, then discovered a couple of ink dots on it. I used same color floss to embroider tiny lazy daisy stitch flowers over the ink and a few more places. It was adorable!
Then I decided the blouse didnā€™t work for me, and I threw it away. Just kidding, I donated it back to the thrift store.

I often seem to buy blouses that are too brightly colored, and I donā€™t wear them. I pulled five such out of my closet the other day, and tossed them in the washer, put bleach in the bleach dispenser, and started the washer.
I was horrified when the washer immediately dribbled the bleach onto the dry clothes, then tumbled them for a bit before adding water.
So now I have five bright blouses with irregular white blotches and streaks.
On the positive side, now I have more room in my closet.

3 Likes

Had a giggle over the white splodges on the colourful blouses!

Maybe do it again but wait until machine starts filling then add the bleach straight into the water?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve decided I need to pull my mending pile out of the shadows and into the main living area if any mending is to be done. I just donā€™t think of it in the evenings so having it in an attractive basket or something out in the open might help. We shall seeā€¦

4 Likes

This is what I need to do too.
I tend to put it out of sight, but that also brings it out of mind.

2 Likes

Exactly. And then it just grows and grows and things get buried. If I liked it enough to put it in the mending pile rather than repurpose the fabric then I shouldnā€™t leave it languishing, forget whatever happened to it and going to buy a replacement only to bump into it when the pile gets knocked overā€¦ or so Iā€™ve heard. :snake:

3 Likes

I had to do an emergency mend on a play princess dress last night, haha. An impatient 2-year old makes pictures tricky, though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I, too, need to put my mending pile in a visible place. It doesnā€™t help that I just keep wearing my hole-y pants.

I have a bamboo cutting board that is cracked and missing a piece, but Iā€™m not sure how to fix. Mr. Road says itā€™s not worth itā€¦but this thread makes me want to save it somehow!

3 Likes

Perhaps it wonā€™t work any more as a cutting board, but that doesnā€™t mean it canā€™t become something else. Maybe you could decorate it and use it as a serving platter, for example. Or even just use it as a trivet.

1 Like

ohā€“I saved my bamboo cutting board! About a year ago, it cracked and gunk was always getting in itā€¦I cleaned it, bleached it, and then let it dry for a few daysā€¦to be sure, I took my hair dryer to it. I used wood filler, sanded it down, and then got a food safe poly from Lowesā€¦I regularly use a food safe mineral oil on it to keep the rest from crackingā€¦

1 Like

Great idea! Itā€™s one of those little onesā€¦hmā€¦

Youā€™re awesome. This is what Mr. Road was thinking wasnā€™t worth it. I think the poly would probably cost more than I paid for the silly thing. I clearly didnā€™t take such good care of it to begin withā€¦I have to be more diligent with my larger wooden cutting board.

yeahā€¦part of mending and repairing is also about the cost benefitā€¦I had the poly left from another project, but they do sell small things for about $10ā€¦if you have an outdoor fire pit, at least you can send it back to natureā€¦

I also have wooden surfaces on other kitchen thingsā€¦the mineral oil spray is worth doing once a month to maintain itā€¦my other bamboo cutting board is going on 5 years nowā€¦

1 Like

Hahahaā€¦good point!

I will have to get some food safe mineral oil spray. Looks like I should be treating my wooden spoons, too. Maintain!

3 Likes

A lot of my ex-kitchen things end up either in my kidā€™s play kitchen or getting set aside for slightly less food-safe uses.

I have a mineral oil & beeswax blend that I love for kitchen thingsā€¦ itā€™s Wooden Spoon Oil from a small business crafter we see at some of the local fairs, but you could probably make your own pretty easily too.

4 Likes

This is a great idea, too! I have been wanting to do one of those refurbished kid kitchensā€¦

Thanks for oil/beeswax linkā€¦wow, his work is beautiful! We arenā€™t too, too far from PAā€¦actually, my BIL went to Kutztown for a semester!

2 Likes

Tricky mend in progress. I could just darn the hole, but I want to try to duplicate stitch it despite the fact that there are more than one yarn break and multiple rows/columns affected. Made even trickier since my sholder is just NOPE not cooperating at the moment.

4 Likes

Look forward to seeing how it comes up!

2 Likes

Yes, and another part of the repair/replace calculation is the fact that if you replace it the old one will go into the landfill, plus the packaging that the new one will come in, and maybe a shipping box too. But if you repair the old one, there is nothing going into the garbage.

Incidentally, Abbeeroad, bamboo can be difficult to glue - itā€™s naturally water-repellant, so nothing sticks to it very well. The best choice seems to be a urethane adhesive like Gorilla Glue. And clamp it together very tightly while it sets, because urethane glues expand and will force the pieces even further apart.

4 Likes

Good to know! I was thinking of using glue to transform it into something else. Now Iā€™ll get less frustrated if it doesnā€™t work!

1 Like

Guess what I did today?

One disaster waiting to happen. Those tiny plastic beads are comfy in a pillow but almost worse than glitter if they escape.

Easy peasy mend, comfy pillow, so naturally itā€™s been sitting in my craft room with the tiny hole pinned shut for years.

Well, I fixed it today!

Thereā€™s a scrunchy meant for adjusting the size and firmness of the pillow, but itā€™s pretty old so itā€™s smaller than it used to be. Those beads get compressed, and some must have escaped when it broke too.

7 Likes