Mend and maintain for a sustainable 2020

Easily done…if you have a machine that does not allow for you to drop the feed dogs, put a piece of cardboard over them…set your zig zag to fit through the holes, do not lower your presser foot…stitch back and forth thru the holes…if it has four holed, turn and do the other two…I really hate to sew on buttons…lol…

4 Likes

I only iron when I sew.

6 Likes

The first time the man said somerthing about using my sewing iron to press a shirt I was like “Huh, what?” Because that is for SEWING projects, what are you even talking about?

6 Likes

Yes! Me too!

I iron everything! T-shirts, pants, napkins. Everything.

2 Likes

When I’m actually ironing I really don’t mind it at all. But the thought of having to get everything out and set up to start the ironing means I don’t think I’ve ironed anything since moving out of my parents’ house. I’m pretty sure the only thing our iron has been used for in the past 3 years is pearler beads. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Here, I got pictures of a few of the pants I fixed! Missing are another pair of patched sweatpants, one pair of patched jeans, and one pair of jeans where I sewed the rip. In the picture below are a pair of darned jeans, sweatpants patched with fleece scraps I had on hand, and a pair of jeans with iron-on patches dressed up with a little fabric paint.

I have a book of iron-on patterns, which is where I got the dogs from.

10 Likes

Yay for fun patches! I used to love it when my mum did that.

2 Likes

My son hasn’t discovered them yet! I hope he likes it. I tried to find something that a 6 yr old boy would appreciate.

2 Likes

OK…posting my January challenge.

I love Soma PJ’s…my sister buys them for me as they are really pricey but just so comfy and keep me cool when I sleep. A few months ago, I noticed a little hole in the top and just ignored it. My little kitten loves to sleep tucked up under my arm and often makes biscuits so I think he was making the hole bigger.

I decided I needed a new pair so I went online and bought two pairs. I started feeling guilty for not fixing the top even if it is getting worn out, so last night, I fixed them. Not a great job, but at least it is under the arm and won’t be seen by anyone except the kitten.

I still need the new PJs for a trip I am taking where other people will see them, but I am glad I also fixed the old pair to wear around.

Little hole

Repaired hole…I used some stretch knit and plain navy thread…It is not very neat but it is done

7 Likes

I can add a few things to my list again!

1. Fixed rip in trousers
  2. Darned hiking socks
  3. Cut up old teatowel into cleaning rags
  4. Darned hiking socks
  5. Repaired skirt split
    6. Patched hiking socks
  6. Patched cotton thights

This is an experiment to try to avoid making holes that have to be darned. I’ve cut patches from a pair of worn out cotton thights and sewn these over areas that are getting thin but don’t have a hole yet. I’ve sewn on 4 patches in total. Like this:

5 Likes

Good idea! Prevent the holes!

I noticed that my hubby has some jeans with very worn spots…they would be much easier to mend now…

I also think that you will know that a piece is well loved and taken care of in the end because it will have many patches! Plus, hiking socks are pricey!

1 Like

I don’t mind doing it and they can indeed get quite pricey if you get holes in them as often as I do! We live in an urban area and don’t own a car, so I walk a lot. Hiking socks and cotton thights are a bit thicker so they are easy to mend.

2 Likes

Me too :rofl::rofl::+1:

1. Stitched fleece lining back into glove
  2. Repaired skirt split
3 Likes

Quick repair on a pair of my kid’s leggings/pants, with fingers crossed she won’t notice… image image

But then I also have a couple Problems from the brief period when she decided to chew holes in her skirts & sleeves:
…this was her favorite dress. Does anyone have brilliant ideas besides cutting it up for scrap?

3 Likes

Yes! Button hole stitch around. Like shisha mirrors without the mirrors. Or with, depending on how ambitious you’re feeling :smile:

4 Likes

Add embroidery stems and leaves to make it a bunch of flowers?

2 Likes

Ooh, finally read the entire thread.

This is so inspiring. I have been reading/watching so many articles/documentaries on waste disposal since Marie Kondo went viral. It is mind-blowing and almost inexcusable to see how much just goes to landfill. It’s left me wishing for simpler times when stuff (textiles, especially) was made to last and people mended and made do (often out of pure necessity, I know). I’m trying to be be more mindful of what we consume and trash.

The other day, my DS2 presented me with an opportunity as he came to me, sad that he had run the knee out of a favorite pair of pants. A bit of scrap fabric and some embroidery floss and I had them mended.

8 Likes

Mindful mending is in now so he will be one of the cool kids with that repair…it is wonderful!

3 Likes