Mermaid tail and Starfish necklace

Seashells collected on Gulf State Park Beach April '23. Iridescent mermaid tail and silver+ gold starfish links strung on hemp cord. Button through loop closure.

18 Likes

Nice! Love those calico shells.

1 Like

Beautiful! What do you use to drill holes in the shells? I usually can find small shells with holes already, but I am petrified of cracking the larger ones with my dremel tool.

1 Like

Dremel Stylo+ engraver tip 191, it’s the larger ball tip that’s included with purchase. I put a damp sponge in a shallow bowl and hold the shell still with my fingers so neither the shell nor drill tip get warm. The dampness keeps the shell dust in the bowl. I start drilling on 1 just to make a mark then turn the speed up to 2.

3 Likes

Wonderful shells, and love what you’ve done with them! The button closure is very cool. Are the buttons vintage? Thanks for sharing the info on how you use the Dremel tool.

1 Like

What a neat design, and such pretty shells!

Thanks for the info on the Dremel. I’ve got a Dremel, and I really need to learn how to use it.

1 Like

Only vintage looking,thick plastic. Super clearance price of 97¢ for a 20 count package of buttons all the same color but different style.

2 Likes

I don’t have steady hands but this tool is so easy to use and so subtle you can catch mistakes before you make them

3 Likes

Beautiful.

1 Like

Lovely way to display your treasures!!

1 Like

So pretty! The mermaid tale is the perfect touch.

1 Like

Perfect summer necklace!

1 Like

Thank You!

1 Like

My summer uniform is tank top and shorts and wearing one of these can dress up an outfit when we venture out in the heat.

2 Likes

So true! I have to be careful not to wear metal jewelry in the intense sun here as well…it can burn quickly! That is why I love your use of cord around the neck part…way more comfortable in the heat!