Messy Valentines

Made a batch of Valentines for friends and family this year.

I used watercolors, spray inks, and glitter mist.

Started by using a punch to cut large hearts out of some extra-large washi tape. Stuck the hearts to the front of half the cards, and the other pieces of washi (with the cut-out hearts) to the other half of the cards.

Painted, blended, spritzed, etc. Used a straw to blow paint outward from the center of the half of the cards that had the washi hearts in the middle. Then dried all the cards with a hair dryer and removed all the washi tape.

I did the spray inks inside a plastic bag.

It was fun, but very messy! My hands got paint and ink all over them. I scrubbed and scrubbed them to try to get all the colors off.

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

21 Likes

Wow that first heart looks dimensional. Great shading!

1 Like

Ooo! I really like the negative heart with the splatters! Creative!

1 Like

I love both the negative and the positive hearts! These are great little gems to send to your loved ones.
Good idea to use the bag. I’m afraid I’d still get it everywhere, but good thing it was only on your hands.

2 Likes

So fun! I love the more splat-y ones.

1 Like

They turned out very pretty and using a bag to keep it contained was a great idea.

2 Likes

These are really cool! It’s so neat how the positive hearts are kind of ethereal and the negative hearts are a little bit rock n roll, even though they’re from the same process.

1 Like

These look like they would be SO much fun to make!

1 Like

Great work! I’m going to bookmark this and try it soon.

1 Like

Clever way to get double the cards from the same project! And they turned out great! Love the colors and the splatters…. Perfect!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! It was definitely a lot of fun. If any of you decide to try it, here’s a little tip for the splat cards: use a hair dryer to set each color before doing the next. Otherwise, the new paint color just follows the same pathways made by the previous color. And for the single heart cards, be sure to mask off the whole front of the card.

These are the ink sprays and glitter mist that I used:

Beautiful!

1 Like

these are great! love the tip about spraying in the bag. Should have thought of that before I ended up with splatter all over the place. I find spray inks much harder to wash off than acrylic paints. I end up walking around with stained fingers for a couple of days.

1 Like

Look what showed up in my mailbox today!

The sparkly sheen is just lovely. Thank you for thinking of me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I sent to my “Happy Mail” list! Glad you received yours and liked it.