META-mask: A mask made from mask scraps

Even though the “customize my mask swap” didn’t get voted into fruition, I had this idea that I just couldn’t let go: use all my random scraps from making masks to make a meta-mask! Or maybe it’s a Franken-mask? Either way, here it is:

I started with some of my lining scraps sewn into a rectangle - then I started laying out and pinning scraps:

Stitched!

Once I had my base, it was same old, same old. Here’s a shot of the pattern (@Magpie’s of course) drawn onto the base to give you a sense of the backing (you can see I have lots of base leftover, too for future projects!):

Some side shots:

I admit I was worried that this put way too many holes in the mask for it to be useful, but it passed both the spray test and the candle test, so I think it’s ok. It’s fully lined and actually multiple layers thick in spots.

Action shot!

:laughing:

35 Likes

That is pretty awesome! I have so many scraps from making masks…

I was also worried about too many holes, but with a lining and the extra layer and social distancing, I think it will work well!

Now you have a beautiful mask for yourself that is 100% customized! Very inspirational!

2 Likes

This is gorgeous! I was actually thinking of doing something similar, but your way looks even better than what I was thinking. Mind if I imitate you? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Flippin’ AWESOME! Well done my Friend.

2 Likes

Please do! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

3 Likes

That is super cool and OOAK!!

2 Likes

I love it!!! And thanks for wearing one :grin:

:star: :star: :star:

2 Likes

Frankenmask is amazing!!! You’ll definitely never find one just like it anywhere. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is awesome! It’s definitely OOAK and perfectly you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, all! :blush:

Gorgeous! I love your creativity. You’ve inspired me to make my own ‘frankenmask’. Thanks for wearing a mask, and for sharing. :heart: :green_heart: :purple_heart: :blue_heart:

1 Like

What a smart idea!

1 Like

That’s an awesome idea! Great executions, and I love that it’s sort of a visual journal of all your mask sewing for others. Very cool! :hibiscus:

2 Likes

This is wonderful. Wonderful!
And, haha, I recognize so much fabric! I will have to follow suit and make a similar compilation. Are you wearing it out? I’m going to for sure. I’m back to work next week. I’ll need something to keep my spirit up…

2 Likes

Heck yea I’m wearing it! Though I’m not going out much. WFH for the foreseeable future. Good luck to you going back! I have a lil something I’m trying to get in the mail to you…:wink:

There are no words for how much I ADORE this mask! I must try my own version. As always, you are the queen of scraps!

1 Like

I love this! What a fun idea!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Mask from Scraps is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

1 Like

Wow. Thank you!! :smiley:

1 Like

Super cool project! Very pretty and so anti-waste!

1 Like