Metamorphosis Monster - 2020 Monster Jam

I made this sweet little monster guy for a friend who recently went through a battle with breast cancer. After years of struggle, she is finally in remission. She says that she feels like a butterfly that went through a metamorphosis. I decided to make her a monster to remind her that she’s transformed. I was going to give it to her the week before the stay at home order was directed, so he’ll have to live with me a little longer until I see her again, but I think she’ll like it.

He was made using lots of different supplies on mixed media paper that was finally glued to a gessoed cradle board.

Detail shot!

April 2020 is Monster Jam! Join in the fun to create monsters all month long! image

17 Likes

He’s so great! I love your work so much.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Oh my goodness. All the textures. This is so incredible. I love how he almost looks galactic. I am sure she will absolutely love it!

1 Like

How utterly fantastic is this? I think it’s the best thing I’ve seen all day.

1 Like

What a great, happy celebration of life. And the colors are so deep and vibrant. You give such depth and shadows to each piece. The horns, the wings, under his chin. Around his mouth. He looks like he could walk off the page - particularly with the overhang!

Did you use salt for the speckeling?

1 Like

what a great way to mark such a meaningful time in her life. fantastic job friend!

1 Like

This post made me cry…such a happy gesture for your friend…so glad she is recovering and you wanting her to fly…at least she will have something to look forward to when you can give it to her…beautiful…

1 Like

It was actually just water, not salt! I did it once to give him some “spots” of sorts and ended up liking the cosmic look of it, so I just kept going.
Thanks for asking.

1 Like

Water droplets are better! I wonder if it had to do with how saturated the base color was. Humm.

This is officially my favorite!!!

1 Like

It was extremely saturated. I used Mermaid Markers. Those things are crazy intense.

1 Like

Thanks, Beth!

Love this!!! She will love it!

1 Like