Meteorite's Delight Musselburgh Hat

One of my favorite knitting vloggers did a whole video about this hat and how much she liked it, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon. One can never have too many warm hats when you live in Michigan.

The pattern is Musselburgh by Ysolda Teague. The yarn is Yarn Bee Authentic Hand-Dyed in the color way Meteorite’s Delight. It’s a 100% super wash Merino, fingering weight yarn.

I had quite a bit of this yarn leftover from a sweater I crocheted for DS2. There was so much variation in this yarn, even within dye lots, that doing a big project presented some issues. Out of 7 hanks, I had three that just did not match up with any others very well, and Hobby Lobby never had more than four in stock at any one time. I used 1.15 Hanks for this hat, and the last bit (it’s hiding in the lining) is a bit washed out. The self-striping pattern really worked out well, though, once I got to the straight section.

Typically, this pattern uses just one skein of sock yarn (100g, 420-460yards, fingering weight), but I wanted a slouchy hat when the brim was turned up. So, I used 115g on size 2 needles. Before blocking, there was about 19" between increases/decreases. After blocking, the hat was 28" from crown to crown.

It fits perfectly and is so soft and warm. I’m already planning more of these hats for my family (and myself). They’d make good gifts for all of the knit-worthy people in my life, too. It took me just two weeks to work up, but it should go faster the next time around.

18 Likes

Looks warm w/o being bulky and that variegation of the yarn works really well with it.

1 Like

This is absolutely gorgeous! How do you personally like the fit?

1 Like

I made the adult L, giving myself about an inch and a half of negative ease, instead of the suggested 3-ish inches. I prefer my hats on the looser side, and this one is snug enough to stay put when unrolled. And, once the brim is rolled up, it feels snugger. Overall, I couldn’t be happier with how it fits and feels. When I make another one for myself (and I will, because this one isn’t really my colors), I’m going to make it the same size.

2 Likes

When you were knitting it before I saw the end shape l was like, dannnng this gal likes a lot of slouch! Lol
Your hat came out great! Can your kiddo wear it as a set with the sweater? That could be fun.

I am very tempted by this pattern and your review of it. Good thing my No buy July is keeping me honest with my already started WiPs! Haha

2 Likes

Haha. I had the same thought re: the slouch level. I wasn’t getting the construction.

It came out sooo good! I have a skein of sock yarn looking for a project…inspired!

2 Likes

So pretty and a perfect name for it! Looks like many meteorites! I’m a crocheter and wonder how it’d look crocheted?

1 Like

@AntBee - he is no longer into rainbows. His new favorite color is blue. Oh, well. We make things for our kids knowing that they will outgrow it, one way or another. :heart:

@ArtsyLadyCrafter - With the right combination of stitch and yarn, I’m sure you could make it work. Because it’s four layers thick at the brim, you’d probably want a very thin fabric.

2 Likes

Fun colors!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!