Mexican tiles

I have a couple dozen 4" Mexican tiles with fun designs. I bought some just because I liked them, others with the idea of covering a table, but that didn’t work out because the table doesn’t match the size of the tiles, and I don’t want to cut them or buy trim pieces.

absent on picture day: lots more calla lilies, skeletons in various professions, devils, coyotes…

I saw a nifty idea for using 2 tiles back to back for pattern weights, but that used 1" porcelain tiles. These would be a little too big, heavy, and fragile for that.

Any suggestions on using these tiles whole?

9 Likes

We have some ceramic tiles that have cork on the back and we use as coasters.

They do look like they’re screaming to be a table top though. I’d be tempted to fashion a new table top frame to make them into a table.

1 Like

I love these!! My first thought was trivets. Though these would make a lot!

1 Like

I don’t know if this counts as the same thing as getting filler pieces but what if you filled in the in-between spaces with those glass drop things people put in vases? And if you don’t like the spaces between those you can use beads?

1 Like

I had the same thought as @photojenn : make or have made a table top for the existing base that fits the tiles. Or mount them to something to hang. It’d be heavy, but that’s what anchors are for!

1 Like

oh, no! I accidentally clicked on something as I was closing a page, and was thanked for helping to “keep Lettuce Craft civil”! I think it was your post, @TheMistressT , that I unwittingly flagged.

Nooooo, nobody was uncivil! I didn’t mean to complain!

Is there a way to unflag, or will the sensible moderators understand it was a mistake?

ETA. oh, wait, it looks like it didn’t go through. Stand down, steiconi!

4 Likes

Kerfuffle averted!

1 Like

Love the tiles! Could you put some together to be a serving tray? Or a planter? Or some kind of patio bench?

I know I have accidentally clicked that “flag” button more than once… but I think (hope!) that I averted it before it actually went through.

2 Likes

I like the tray idea or planter. What about a border around a mirror. But maybe you need another table? Console table? Hallway table?

You could also just frame them and hang them around the house, or make a framed collage, or whatever it’s called, like a bunch of framed photos together in a cluster

2 Likes

some great ideas, thanks!
I’m desperately not in need of another table, but maybe I could replace the glass insets in my coffee table with tile collage…it currently has a christmas tree on top of it, so that will have to wait.

But another really cool idea is a garden bench. We’re kind of looking for one to put up the hill a ways, tile in a wild setting might be fun. Now I just need to find a flat-seated bench that can live outdoors…

2 Likes