Microwave Mug Cozy

When I make a hot beverage, the mug is often too hot to carry. So, I decided I wanted to make a smaller version of the microwave bowl cozies. I did find a pattern for it, but I didn’t use the thermal insulation layer in mine, and I used 100% cotton thread (her pattern wasn’t microwave safe). She also didn’t sew the fabric to the batting, but I did to keep the batting from bunching up.

It’s made the same way as a microwave bowl cozy, but it starts with an 8" square. The darts are marked 2" deep and 1" wide (from center). But, I had it in my brain that the darts were marked 2" wide (which they are initially), but I marked them 2" from center, so I had to rip out 4 of them once I realized my mistake!

The mug that is pictured is a large, handmade mug. It just fits, but it holds a standard sized mug rather nicely!

13 Likes

Great idea! I use mugs a lot for drinks and soups, but the bowl cozies are too big!

Pretty fabrics…you could make one for each mug! lol

I don’t use the thermal insulation in mine either…just plain old cotton batting.

2 Likes

Thanks! The bowl cozies work great for my big soup mugs, but a regular mug? Not so much. I can certainly see myself making a few more. Somewhere, I have a set of fabric squares and batting that I cut too small for bowl cozies, and I think they’re 8”, which is exactly what I need for these! They might be the same fabric, though.

2 Likes

Turned out cute! And sounds very functional. That’s a really pretty mug, too.

1 Like

Genius! And so useful!

1 Like

So charming and while adding comfort and safety to your hot beverage situation, I bet it also makes it feel just a little more special.

1 Like

Great idea!

1 Like

@endymion , My friend has a fantastic handmade mug collection. Mine is building ever so slowly.

It does make it easier for me to hug my mugs :slight_smile: And, I think it will keep it warmer for just a bit longer, too- my house is chilly!

2 Likes