Milky Way in Watercolor

I’ve been trying a few new things for the upcoming art swap, and I turned my practice pieces into cards for Father’s Day.

I was working from a photograph and with my limited palette of inktense pans for all of these.

A couple more, just playing around (copy practice)…

28 Likes

You are so great at these lovely little vignettes. Every one of them is enchanting.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s so kind of you to say. I feel like a total noob, just splashing color around. :joy:

2 Likes

They are beautiful! I can’t believe you’re new to this type of painting.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve dabbled with acrylics for years, but these paints mix, move, and layer in ways I find almost inexplicable. It’s chaos! I like it. :joy:

2 Likes

How did you do the stars on yours? They’re intense pieces. Is intense the right word? It’s bringing memories of places.

3 Likes

I use a small, cheap, rough short-bristle paint brush, damp, and loaded with acrylic paint. I push most of the paint out, then use another large brush to strike the handle of the small brush…short, light strikes, while holding the small brush firmly. It makes for a light mist of droplets. I managed to paint everything within an 18" radius of the paper. :person_shrugging: Those long-exposure photos pick up all the stars.

3 Likes

Your Milky Way paintings are so beautiful.

3 Likes

these are absolutely gorgeous!

Splatters are so much fun. It’s why everything I own is covered in paint!
loading up an old toothbrush with paint and using your thumb to flick the bristles is also a fun way to do splatters

3 Likes

Having a limited palette sure hasn’t limited your creativity!

They are lovely and quite evocative…there is a feeling of peace and wonderment…

Like @geekgirl , I love splatters and use an old toothbrush as well as an old fan brush to splatter…including clothes, furniture, floor…lol

Beautiful effects you got!

3 Likes

These are beautiful. Whoever gets you in the art swap is lucky. Each and every one of these is frameable.

3 Likes

They’re all so moody and ethereal! I love them so much!!!

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone!

I have used a stiff paint brush and flicked it with my thumb, but I tend to get more strands than I’d like with that method. Maybe a toothbrush would be better.

Someone coined a word to describe the sense of wonderment one gets when looking up at the night sky - novalunosis. It’s an interesting word.

1 Like

These are just stunning. That glow at the tree line is :star_struck:

This is what I do, too, with white acrylic ink. It gives me the least amount of “stringy” splatters and is just the right consistency. It does tend to get everywhere…

2 Likes

Oh, I should show y’all the photo that was the inspiration for those first four…

5 Likes

These are beautiful! Luminous and lovely :sparkling_heart:

I think half the fun of watercolour is that it has a mind of its own and I’m never completely in control of it :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I have a LC crush! Amazing!

2 Likes

:rainbow: :comet: :rocket: Your project is out of this world! That’s why it is one of this week’s Featured Projects! CONGRATS! :rocket: :comet: :rainbow:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like