Minecraft Crafting Surprise Cake

My baby turned five. Since we couldn’t do a fun party with his friends at the playground down the street, we tried to make it as fun as possible with just the four of us at home. It was exhausting (like Christmas Eve), but worth it. He and his brother love Minecraft (and now I know more about it than I would ever want), so we had lots of Minecraft activities all day. It culminated with this surprise cake. I’d been wanting a surprise cake stand surprisecake.com, and this was a good excuse. (The cake hides a center core with a small gift, and it pops up.) I decorated the cake to look like the crafting table screen and adding some hastily made fondant decorations that hang on the sides of a crafting table plus kiddo’s name. He put a “stick” and “charcoal” (a pirouette cookie and Rice Krispie treat sprayed with black food coloring) on the table and “crafted” two torches (tiny keychain Minecraft lights I found online for him and his brother). He was so thrilled. It was pretty cute.

“Charcoal” drying
image here’s the cake stand in action! It had a music box trigger. Full sized in cloud

14 Likes

Great cake, and what an interesting stand!

2 Likes

This is the COOLEST! Even my 11 year old wouldn’t be too cool for this cake.

3 Likes

Heck, I don’t know anybody who would be too cool for that cake!!!

How awesome!

4 Likes

Very cool!!! and what a fun cake stand! :birthday:

2 Likes

What a fun cake and a great way to make the celebration extra special!

2 Likes

This is so cool! Creating all those the pixels must’ve been a most epic quest (is probably what the Minecraft kids call it).

2 Likes

This cake is something he will remember for years to come!

2 Likes

WOW. Wow!! Bravo for all the minecraft decos on the cake. I love his face when the center pops up!!

1 Like

That turned out so well, and so fun that it was interactive too. Great job!

1 Like