Minerva and Arachne

So, I had an assignment in Drawing class to complete four artworks on a theme. I thought I would make my favorite goddesses my theme. Here I have the goddess Minerva’s owl (also known as Owl of Athena) with poor Arachne after she was turned into a spider. The ground was made to look like fabrics or weaving. Such a sad story, if you feel like looking it up.

Artwork is 11X15, mixed media, watercolors and crayon mostly. Below you will find some progress photos. ENJOY!!

OH! The eyes are metallic gold and the spiderwebs shimmer in the light. Looks soo cool in person.

15 Likes

Very cool! Your colors are always so vibrant. This one is bigger than I originally thought!

1 Like

I love how graceful poor Arachne looks. I always liked that myth. The random diamond stars make the night sky look lively. Wish I could see it in person so I could admire the shimmer!

1 Like

This is so striking and interesting to look at even without knowing the backstory. After you shared that and explained about the ground as cloth, gold eyes, and shimmery webs all the more so!

1 Like

This is so gorgeous! I love the fact that you shared your sketch and drawing as well.

Those white outlines just make everything really pop! Looks amazing as always. :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing this beauty.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. It’s due Tuesday, so hopefully it’s well received in class. One of my friends is already asking to buy it, but I told them they had to wait until the semester is over. :slight_smile: I showed it to a couple kids in my theatre class and they were both familiar with the story of Minerva and Arachne. It was really cool.

1 Like

Beautiful.

1 Like

I adore this!

1 Like