Mini Cotton Gin for School Project

My American Studies class is studying the Industrial Revolution. We had to pick an item that was part of the revolution. My group chose to do the cotton gin, since we had learned about that earlier in the year.

My dad and I went to the store to buy the wood for the cotton gin. We used pine boards for all the sides and some dowel rods in the inside. We covered the dowel rods in felt and a cleaning product. It is about 7 1/4 inches long and 5 1/2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.

18 Likes

What?! This is so cool! I wish I could see it in action. It makes me think of automata, a favourite movable project. Very neat-o, thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Whoa! It’s one thing to just do a report on the cotton gin, but to make one and bring it in?? That rocks so hard. I wish a guy in your group would volunteer to play Eli Whitney and talk all old-timey to share his invention in front of the class (as long as you get credit for making this one).

3 Likes

I love that younger people are learning how things worked!

Good job on your project!

3 Likes

Thank you!!!
@calluna We kind of had to make a 3-D modem for our presentation. I just volunteered to do it at home to make it easier on my group.

3 Likes

As a history teacher currently teaching the Industrial Revolution, this is freaking amazing.

3 Likes

Very cool! Bonus points to you!

3 Likes

Whoa! That is way cool!

2 Likes

You did a great job on this!

2 Likes

What a fun assignment, and I bet the group was thrilled at what a great job you did on the model. Congrats!

3 Likes

You and Dad did a great job on this! What a super group partner you are!

2 Likes

@Lynx Haha!

1 Like

This is a great model! I can easily see how you doing it at home would make it much easier for the group (I imagine it would be pretty difficult to plan, coordinate, and execute a 3D model in class). Your group is fortunate that you have the skills to create this. It is very nicely done!

4 Likes

Yahoo! Congrats on being one of this week’s featured projects!

3 Likes

Congratulations kiddo! I’m proud of you!

3 Likes

@kittykill Thank You!

2 Likes

Wowsers this rocks! Totally amazing!

1 Like

I had to google this instrument and it was fascinating, and I love your machine you made, love the use of the rollers :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you!!

I never knew what a cotton gin looked like or what it did. I pictured a big metal contraption you could make from an erector set.

Just seeing your picture, I realize that it removes the bolls.

Wish we’d done this as kids!

2 Likes