I have finally gotten to get back to work on a larger miniature project - a diorama - that will consist of a few-to-several miniatures that are projects in their own right such as this towel.
It was made to hang on this purchased towel bar using methods I learned watching the Bentley House Minis channel on YouTube.
But before putting those to use, I made the towel using a white linen scrap. I used the time tested method of pulling a warp and a weft thread to make sure it was cut on-grain. then I removed some threads from each end to make a fringe. After that I used sewing thread to make little stripes at one end.
After that I tea stained it, hoping to get darker bits where I thought the towel would be most used.
Then I used a mixture of Tacky Glue and water as a stiffener and formed it around aluminum foil (to keep it from sticking to itself) and pinned it to some foil-covered cardboard to keep it in the shape I wanted. It took most of a day to get fully dry.
When this was done I realized that the part of the towel on the backside of the towel bar was too clean-looking.
Since using a more typical tea staining method would be very wet which would undo all the shaping work I had done, I made myself a cup of tea, then broke open the bag and used a small paint brush to dry brush some tea onto that area. The photo below is probably the closest to color-accurate.
After that I added some more “dry” tea to the creases and depressions to give the towel more dimension.
I may be adding more “things” to this as the project goes on, but I am considering this part of the project complete!