Mini iron recommendations?

I’ve been doing a bunch of scrapplique, using fusible web to create designs of scraps. My full-size iron is awkward for this, and I’d like to get a mini. There are a lot of choices out there.

What features do you look for in a mini iron?

Is itty bitty best, or something a little larger?

I don’t use steam for this, so that’s not on my list now, but I could be convinced.

I’m okay with a corded iron, but if something rechargeable is better, please tell me!

Thanks!

1 Like

I need a good one too. I bought a Dritz Mini on sale but it was still a waste of money because it’s garbage

1 Like

This is the one I bought. I use it when I am piecing a bunch of small things that need to be ironed after each seam (Paper piecing, applique, etc.).

It is corded but the cord is long. It also has a steam option. It is not meant for precise ironing as you have to use the palm of your hand to use it…sort of like rolling it or setting it down and letting it do the job. Best for seams that don’t need to be opened and ironed flat but just to one side, like EPP. It works great for iron on interfacing, heat bond, etc.

What I don’t like about it is that it doesn’t stand very well and unless you turn off the steam function, it holds so little water. I keep a bottle of water nearby when I am using it. There is no auto shutoff, so I just leave it on and turn it down if there is going to be some lag time between.

I ordered it off Amazon so I could return it if it was not what I needed, but, I kept it.

This replaced my clover mini–that was a waste in my opinion…I use that for encaustic art, melting beeswax on flat surfaces.

1 Like

So a semi upvote for sunbeam, and downvotes for Dritz and Clover.
Thanks, that narrows the field.

Will I someday want changeable heads of different shapes?

One of my friends just got this mini iron for next to her machine based on a recommendation of a teacher in a class she was taking. I don’t have any first hand experience with it though.

2 Likes

I have been looking at this new and improved mini iron with different heads for doing different tasks. Seems worth a shot for about $20. My clover just had the one head and it does not get hot enough to press a seam or the interfacing…and it takes too long for most applique because the surface area is so tiny.

I would use the new Clover just for small projects that are repeats, like lots and lots of little squares.

Clover

1 Like

What does she think of it? And why isn’t she here showing off her qulits? We wanna seeeee! :smile:

1 Like

I’ve been looking at reviews for the irons. Even the best reviewed ones have people who hate them because the iron melted or burned the user. Sounds like heat control is an issue.
I think I like the ones with the top knob, like an orbital sander; I don’t know if my fingers would fit through the handles on the others, and they would hold my wrist in a awkward position–bad feng shui. Or ergonomics or something.

1 Like

She says she loves it! She’s primarily a weaver who’s been using some of her handwoven fabric to make garments.

I’ve been trying to get her to join but it hasn’t worked, yet.

2 Likes

so I gotta ask…why do the mini irons cost more than full size irons? They have fewer bells and whistles, poor temperature control, other issues, yet a bigger price tag.
niche marketing? Economy of scale?

Of course, my full size iron was $7 at the thrift store, so I may not have my finger on the pulse of ironing tech pricing.

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing!

Mine does kind work like an orbital sander or you can hold on the handle but it is small and awkward! I use a woolen felted sweater underneath to help but with my forgetfulness, I worry that I am going to burn something because there is no auto shut-off!

1 Like

I checked a couple of thrift stores, and almost bought a nearly full-sized Black and Decker iron because it was a pretty green color. I’m sucker for pretty green appliances, as my sewing machine and stand mixer will attest.

However, I found a Steamfast 727 for $14 at my local Walmart. Will try it out and report back soon!
Thanks for the help and reccies!

1 Like

I have the same iron as @photojenn’s friend (well the same iron, but with a different Amazon seller brand name because it was a little cheaper and I liked the color better), which looks to be very similar to the one you picked up. I bought it to take to a fabric collage class and I’ve found it to be a good iron. It gets pretty hot on high, which is great if you need high heat. The only negative that I have on it is that it takes a while to cool, so I just wrapped it with a silicone iron pad and rubber band before putting it in my bag to head home from class.

I hope the new iron works for you!

3 Likes

I have an iron carrying/storage bag on my “to do” list. I am going to add a pocket or something to the ones I have seen online so I can add a bottle of distilled water to take with me if I need it. Otherwise, I will just use the pocket to store other things. I really can’t think of too many places I would take my own iron, but, it would be nice to have something to store it in so it doesn’t get banged up.

I have a Shark with a pointy nose on it. It helps to open the 1/4 inch seams and gets into corners nicely.

1 Like