Mini quilt paper-pieced hummingbird

I made this little mini quilt for @Lynx as her main item for the Little Good Things (R2) swap. I’ve never done paper piecing before this so it was quite a learning experience! (I also have a lot to learn about working with seam bindings, lol).

There was much seam-ripping and also some start over and re-doing, but I think the end result came out OK. It’s a love/hate relationship - as much as I hate the nuances of paper piecing (figuring out angle pieces and sewing them on correctly to cover the area, argh!) I also really liked and enjoyed it as I figured things out.

This is definitely something I will try again.

Paper piecing pattern is not my design- Designed by DJ Masters (Quilt Universe, available via their Etsy shop)

26 Likes

I love it! :heart:

2 Likes

That turned out so lovely! Great job!!

1 Like

It really turned out nicely…I bet you venture into doing more of these…they are addicting…do you have a particular fandom?

If so, I would suggest NOT going to Fandominstiches.com for all of the FREE paper piecing patterns…:wink:

3 Likes

OH NOW YOU’VE DONE IT!!! :joy: But seriously… I’ll see y’all in a few hours, brb…

I love it so much! It’s so pretty! And the blues are gorgeous! You did a great job! I’ve done paper piecing and the angles is tough because you have to think backwards!

Your binding looks good. It’s definitely one of those things that you just practice, practice, practice.

Thank you for making this for me.

3 Likes
  1. That hummingbird is gorgeous!

2. The fandom website has a pattern for Monty Python’s holy hand grenade. :rofl:

3 Likes

The red spot is perfection. You did a wonderful job with this.

That fandom place has my winged key pattern! Not sure anybody has ever made it except me but still…

3 Likes

Beautiful. I love the movement your fabric choices lend to the piece.

2 Likes

There is a pattern for Carrie Fisher’s Prozac urn! Thanks, @AIMR. Now I have to learn how to quilt!

1 Like

Paper piecing is one of my favorite things to do :slight_smile: I think your hummingbird is beautiful, and you did awesome for the first time!

2 Likes

That is so cool, lovely bird, and glad that you’re willing to try it again :smiley: Because the second, third and so on time will make it easier :smiley:

1 Like

The gorgeous hummingbird’s new home:

The pictures below my daughter and I chose for the 4 seasons at a local art center.

So perfect.

2 Likes

Beautiful piece! You found the perfect jewel-toned colors.

1 Like

You did a great job on this! I love how it looks like it’s in motion! I agree with @MistressJennie that it has to do with your fabric choices and I think that the angles cut into the background also contribute to the look of movement, very nice!

2 Likes